The Watch Site banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author: nhoJ

Review of Seiko Le Grand Sport

The Le Grand Sport Collection is available in the Seiko International Collection. They are quartz watches advertised to bridge sport and dress styles. Although not exclusive to every single model in the collection, there are features that are captured in most models. Most models will have a stone insert in the crown called a cabochon crown. Most models will also have a coin edge detailing on the case which looks nice. Finally bracelets are all similar styles with a weave effect.

I own two models from the collection so rather than writing two separate reviews, I will put both here. Feel free to add any other information or pictures of additional models.

SNA469

This is a chronograph that is no longer in production. It is a battery quartz with the 7T62 movement. The dimensions are as follows.

Crystal 33mm
Bezel 38mm
Case no crown 39mm
Case with crown 42mm
Lug to lug 45mm
Lug width 19mm
Case thickness 9.7mm

The case work on this is very nice. The bezel is highly polished and there is some nice detailing around the lugs.

These two pictures show the cabochon crown and the coin edge detailing. The crown is finely knurled and after spending time with diver watches, I find the crown very small. It looks proportional to the case. It is just that crowns on diver watches are so much larger. Fortunately as a quartz, there is infrequent use of the crown.

I think the dial and hands are the best features of this watch. The dial is nicely textured in several different patterns. The center part of the dial has concentric rings in a gently wave pattern. The perimeter of the dial has highly polished, faceted index markers laid on top of the dial with textured with straight lines. The chapter ring has 1/5 second index markers, provides some depth to the dial and also a very subtle sparkle or glitter that is only evident with direct light. The three subdials are also textured with a radial pattern of concentric circles.

The hands are a wonderful color blue that really stand out nice against the white dial. I don’t know if these are blued in the traditional sense of heating steel, or if they are painted or chemically treated. They are a nice blue none the less. All hands are the same color, even the subdial hands. The hour and minute hands have a nice sword shape to them ending in a long pointed hand. The subdial hands are less ornate.

The layout of the dial is the conventional 7T62 layout with the watch seconds on the 9 o’clock subdial. The chronograph seconds hand is on the center post and measures to 1/5 of a second. The 12 o’clock measures the chronograph minutes up to 60 minutes. The 6 o’clock subdial serves as an alarm time indicator and also if programmed correctly can record a second time zone, completely independent of the main time on the center post. This is a handy feature that I have used while traveling. The alarm is not very loud and serves more as a reminder rather than a wake up call. Finally the watch has a sapphire crystal.

The lugs are short and to my initial disappointment have a center lug which makes replacement of the bracelet difficult. Fortunately, this bracelet looks nice and is comfortable enough to keep.

The bracelet has a characteristic design looking like a basket weave. The surface of the H shaped part of the link is brushed and the edge and the little cross piece of the H is polished. Running through the H link is a ribbed link that is polished. The bracelet ends in a butterfly clasp with a hidden deployant. There are no half links and no micro adjustment. Fortunately this bracelet fits me well and the small links make a very flexible bracelet.

The case back is screw down and doesn’t really have any design features worth noting.

SNT001

I think this is a cool looking watch that is very challenging to photograph due to the reflections. It is a battery quartz with a retrograde day function and the 5Y66 movement. The dimensions are as follows.

Crystal 33mm
Bezel 38mm
Case no crown 39mm
Case with crown 42mm
Lug to lug 45mm
Lug width 19mm
Case thickness 9.5mm

The case work is similar to the white dialed one with the crown and the coin edge detailing.

The bezel and lugs are highly polished like the other watch. Differing is the fact that although this bracelet appears to have integrated lugs, in fact the center part of the end link is actually solid and attached to the bracelet. With a little work, the bracelet can be removed leaving the retro looking angular lugs.

The field of the dial is textured in a diamond like pattern. The index markers are polished chrome and faceted. There are circular subdials at 6 and 3 o’clock which are also textured in a radial circular pattern and have a chrome edge around the subdial. The 3 o’clock subdial is a date wheel and the 6 o’clock subdial is a 24 hour indicator that is not adjustable at all and is completely dependent on the main hands. The retrograde day indicator is at 9 o’clock and has a black field with a chrome band having the days marked. Both areas are textured in radial lines. There is no chapter ring on this one, so the dial looks larger than the white one, even though both are the same size. Minute markers are applied directly to the dial.

The hour and minute hands are chromed and completely skeleton. The subdial hands are simple in design and are white. I have to say that under the right lighting, something like the spot lights that are used in bars and restaurants, this dial comes to life and the light just dances off all the facets and chromed areas. Unfortunately, this kind of lighting also makes the hands difficult to see. I guess in that environment, you really shouldn’t be looking at your watch anyway! I don’t know what I would have done differently with the hands. Maybe something solid, but thin.

Although the bracelet on this one looks identical to the white dialed watch, it is not. On the H part of the link, the bottom 1/3 of the link is polished in a band across the link and is slightly curved. This provides some dimension to the bracelet. The bracelet has the same hidden deployant butterfly clasp. Unfortunately, this bracelet just does not fit me as well as the other one. One link in and it is too loose. One link out and it is too tight. I have been saving this watch only to see how it will look with a leather strap. I like the angled lugs on this one and I think a strap will showcase them better than the bracelet that is currently on.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts