The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been in serach of an umolested, mint condition 6309-729A for more or less a year now. Most of these watches in the marked (ebay) are useless to me, due to aftermarked dials,hands and overpolished cases. I dont get it.
No one show any love for these underestimated version of the 6309.

I have had a couple of 7290´ies. One philippino/ebay with soft polished case and acid-green time-marks, sold as "very rare". yes, indeed :mad:
The other one was a heavily beat up, but original one that I got very attached to. But I ended up selling it. I never felt comfortable with the fact that I was not the one that was responsible for its scars. It felt like wearing another guys mojo if you know what I mean :undecided: I love faded bezels and scruffy dials/hands, but still it feels better when you know those scars are a reflection of your own lifestyle, and not someone else.. anyway
Here is a pic of it:

I decided start the hunt for mint condition one, and decided on the 729A
I remember very well those seiko-pepsies from my childhood but never had the opportunity to have one. When I 30 years later got interested in watches, I bought a skx009 and got immediately content, as if a lost part of my childhood finally returned to me. I dont know what it is with pepsies. Some people hate them, me,..I love them. They are so cool!
I mean...who was cooler in the eighties than Tom Sellec, MagnumPI with his Pepsi Rolex GMT....(and his red ferrari 308 :eek:)

Anyway: here is my new gem, purchased from a very nice fellow here at scwf.

The very interesting with this one is its bracelet which I believe is the original one. Correct me if I am wrong.
The 6309 729x came usually on the GL831, but also on a jubilee-style bracelet. That is anyway what I have managed to dig out of the world wide web. If anyone can correct me here, please do.
I first thought that that mystery bracelet would be the z199 that came with the 7548 quartz-diver, but I have never found any info or images that this would be the case. The fact that the new innovative super-hightech quartz-diver was first released with the new slim-case makes it quite logic Seiko equipping it with the solid steel z199 bracelet. When the automatic 6309-729x was released some years later, automatic was representing an ancient technology and Seiko didn´t equip that watch with the same bracelet as the 7548 quartz-diver. But what bracelet was attached to the 729A?
I believe it to be this:

It´s a folded link bracelet. Links very thin and with mild convex and very tight put together. This makes the bracelet less flimsy and rattly. The end-links are marked Y035 are very much like the endlinks of the z199, missing the three typical jubilee lines.

It has a drastic but classic taper going from 22mm to 16mm and has the stock Seiko clasp from the seventies. I have added a picture of the bracelet next to a 6139 H-link and a skx-jubilee for comparison.
The bracelet looks and feels very 70-ies but I havent succeeded finding a watch from the same era or earlier that had 22mm lugs.
Nor a watch that used fat-springs, as this bracelet accomodates.
This is why I am tempted to conclude this being the original 6309-729x bracelet..

Finally, some images of the 729A on the skx-jubilee, together with its father and grandfather :D

That´s all, folks !
Feel free to comment and correct, and post your own images of 729A.

regards
seikoskar

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have one its in my safe box it comes with a seiko jubilee bracelet I will post pic of it as soon as I can get my hands on it . Your hand bezel and dial bracelet all looks aftermarket .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one its in my safe box it comes with a seiko jubilee bracelet I will post pic of it as soon as I can get my hands on it . Your hand bezel and dial bracelet all looks aftermarket .

I can assure you their´re not.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry sir it was just my honest opinion regarding your review apologies.I just like to share n stand to be corrected

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be interesting to hear on what basis you claim my dial, hands, bezel and bracelet to be all aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Well, viewing wildaxlrose's pics, I'd say he believes his dial, bezel inlay and hands to be correct, which I think is not the case.
Have a look at you Suwa symbol, the lower tips of the 12 o'clock marker and the borders of the hour markers... Also, the bezel pip is a telltale sign of an AM insert.

I'm sorry, wildaxlrose, but you seem to have bought a watch that is not all-original. I don't think you have to keep that one in the safe...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Came over another unmolested 6309-pepsi a couple of weeks ago. Since these are not up for sale on ebay on regular basis, I just had to bid on it, and you know what...no one seemed to be very interested in it. I set max bid on $100, and got it for $98 :)
The pristine one cost me $325, but that one looks almost untoutched.
The new one has as you see rotten hands (planning on cleaning them up, and a relume) Elsewise the watch is in pretty good shape. Movement is superclean and keeps good time. Just gottal ove these movements :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The hands on my mint 729A was slightly matte. Especially the minute hand.
I was afraid the matte surface was the starting of corrotion, but it turned out being kind of very fine dust.

I removed the hands and polished the matte surface off, with som Bergeon rodico putty. It turned out like new.
Now the watch is truely mint conditioned :)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Well, viewing wildaxlrose's pics, I'd say he believes his dial, bezel inlay and hands to be correct, which I think is not the case.
Have a look at you Suwa symbol, the lower tips of the 12 o'clock marker and the borders of the hour markers... Also, the bezel pip is a telltale sign of an AM insert.

I'm sorry, wildaxlrose, but you seem to have bought a watch that is not all-original. I don't think you have to keep that one in the safe...
After my brief encounters with 6309-729's I have to agree Jonas. At least my AM laden 6309-729A looks 'mint' to the uninitiated and only cost me $50 anyway ;)
edit:- after just having a look at what is on offer on eBay, I was mildly surprised to find not a single example of the 6309-7290/A without an after market dial, despite the claims of originality and prices in excess of $250! :eek:

·
Special Member
1,349 Posts
Beautiful watches!
To the original poster {op}, that 729a is really sweet. I always liked the 6309 movements and the slim cased models are perfect for the days you want to wear something with a bit less of a footprint.
That size also makes a great starter watch for kids. Trying to get one put together for my son so he'll have it when he's ready. I wore a 7548 {same case but quartz train} for twenty years straight before I ever moved up to the 6309-7040...love that case!
Mike

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I really like these and one would be next on my list. Which would complete what I'd want from a slim case diver range. 7c43, 7548, skx and then this.

And wildaxlrose I hope you chased up the seller who told you that was all original. Sorry to see that, but the parts on that watch are mostly AM.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks guys for all the input kinda of heartbroken but still love this piece a lot ,it's great to learn from you guys and thanks for the review

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Due to photobuckets messup, I´ve hade to reload all my pictures (imgur).
Now this review is up and going again :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts