The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ladies black and gold tone SQ sports Seiko with a 2A23A inside.
(Thank you Mr Johnny Ringo). It's the one on the right in the photo.

I originally thought it just needed a new SR621SW battery but it has now stopped completely. My wife really likes it so I would like to get it running again.

I was thinking of replacing the movement with a Seiko 7N83 or ETA 956.122 (I believe both have day and date wheels and are the right thickness). I don't yet have the experience to identify what the fault is or how to repair it which is why I am thinking of replacing the movement.

Is there a more appropriate movement or any problems in either one I have listed please?

Any help will be very much appreciated,
Bern

Attachments

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
So you replaced the battery, it ran for a while and then stopped? Are you sure the battery was fresh? Assuming it was, then the next thought is to determine what is wrong and repair the movement...very possibly the train is blocked and needs to be cleaned...which might be more easily accomplished than fitting a movement that doesn't belong in the watch. Since this beyond your current level of experience, another thought comes to mind: buy a working 2A23 movement on the 'Bay and swap it out (much easier than square pegs in round holes). Save the old movement...when your skill set is more complete, determine what is actually wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
7s26b, Benchguy, Sewingman,
Thank you all.
I hadn't even thought that there might be a working 2A23 available! I'll go and look.
If I can get it replaced then I'll have a shot at cleaning/lubricating the gear train and see what happens.
I've tried finding some training.
The local University (Birmingham) only does a 3 year full time. The local watch repairer is too busy. The British Horological Institute seems to be my best bet as they do vocational courses, 3 parts, with one module per year.
At the moment we are selling the house as my wife has a new job starting November but once we have this place sold and I find a new job I'll sign up with the BHI.
Then hopefully I can start repairing things properly rather than finding workarounds,
Bern

Update.
Benchguy,
Re 2A23 working movement
There are currently 3 complete watches on the Bay but a bit too expensive once I have add in the carriage. I've marked them for an alert so hopefully I'll see something suitable shortly.
Thank you for the tip,
Bern

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Try putting a button compass close to the movement - but not shorting anything out, if the needle pulses every second then the electronics are good and the gears are likely gummed up as benchguy said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7s26b,
Thank you for this tip.
By button compass are you referring to the cheap little compasses which are basically a toy? If not where would I get one from please.
Kind regards,
Bern

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7s26b,
Thank you. I'll get one and see what happens.

I have had a bit of time on my hands (sic) recently and needed to mentally switch off from the house move issues. So I have had a go at reluming some hands on a relatively cheap watch. The hands were "frames" as opposed to solid and it took a bit of trial and error. I had a lot of fun learning and ending up with something very personal and more importantly they work. How it will effect accuracy is something I will keep an eye on.

Getting the mixture both thick enough to adhere and fill in the gaps in each hand but thin enough so they don't rub across each other was fun!

Bern

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.