The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, this is my first and probably the last time here.

So my dad own's a very used Seiko 7549-7010.
The "needles" or what ever you guys name them are still moving, yet the back is not sealed properly as the person who were suppose to replace the battery damaged the watch and was not able to repair it afterwards.
The wheel that adjusts the time is stuck in its place and not moving so I can not change the time either.

Overall, the watch is pretty out of order and looks pretty bad too.

So, that watch has a great sentimental value and now after my dad's done with it I want to use it myself so I figured the best solution would be to send it to Seiko in New Jersey so they will repair and take care of the watch so it will return back to shape.

Since I have not done any thing like this ever before I thought it would be for the best to consult with you guys.

Do you guys think it's possible to fix such an old watch?
And even if it is, how expensive would it be because I think this watch is going to need some extensive work on it.

I'll appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Thanks a lot, Din.

Update: The crown seems to be working fine, I just didn't know how to use it properly. I adjusted the time and date and now I am going to wait a while and see if the mechanism is working as it should.

Update2: Just talked to my dad. He said the watch was sent for a glass change which ended up with a chapter ring not moving.
He also said the movement never broke and suppose to be in great condition.
To sum it up, from what I see right now the watch is going to need new/repo hands, bezel, case back and maybe dial (seems to be the original but it is not clean and does not light in the dark).

I will take new photos soon after I will pop the case back. How hard should it be to find those parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Well hello and welcome to the forum...that is a beautiful watch...that is very repairable...but make sure you have the right people repair it....there are many great craftsman here who will be able to steer you in the right direction...tell me more about the recent work..what happened and what did he tell you?...dont worry you are in great hands here...this forum will make sure to get you up and working again...if you need anything...just ask...i am John

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
That has a quartz movement in it and should have had the batteries replaced a few times along the way..i wonder if there was any corrosion from the old battery...and what he might have damaged trying to remove them...this should not be a full restoration i would think unless he did lot of damage to it...so do not worry...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hi Din. That's a great looking watch and very repairable. Which continent are you in? There are great guys who can work on this in both the UK and US and some here could recommend people in Australia too if that is closer.

It sounds like the movement is still going so I bet it just needs a service. When you say the crown (wheel that adjusts the time) is stuck, have you tried winding it anti-clockwise first? It's a screw down crown so you have to unwind it before you can adjust the time.

If you're lucky all it needs is a good service and (if you want to) a new bezel insert. The guys here will give you all the advice you need in finding someone to work on it and parts if needed.
That's a very desirable watch and because it came from your dad it has even more mean ing to you. Interesting that the caseback is for a 7c43, not 7549 (7c43 replaced the 7549). How did you conclude 7549? Caseback dates it to Jan 1986.

I have a 7549 7010 myself that's with my watch guy. It's not running but he says that should be no problem.

Cheers,
Tristan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do not know what exactly the guy did to demage the watch. As you probably understand he didn't exactly knew what he was doing.

I figured the model since the model written on the back directed to me to a diffetent watch when I googled it so I searched the watch by photos and eventually figured the correct model. By the way, you think I will also be able to get the original back seal?

I live in israel so its a bit of a problem for me to fix it here but my brother lives in New York so he'll take care of it once I will figure out who should work on it.

What about sending the watch directly to Seiko? Not much of a good idea?!

Any way, where do you guys think I should start?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well sending it to Seiko may be very expensive and may not be the best choice sadly...i would also change the case back to the proper one too...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sorry, scrub my comments about the 7c43 7000, it is of course a completely different watch. 7549 7010 looks about right. Perhaps the battery replacement guy damaged the threads on the original case back and replaced it with an alternative.

You could email the seiko service centre in New Jersey and also in Japan and ask them if they will work on it. They may or may not have an original case back. You should be able to find one that fits properly and allows a good seal.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Hey everyone who is the best with tuna's?...

·
Special Member
27,777 Posts
Looks like all of the hands are Replacements...There is something array with the Chapter ring/dial etc...I am no expert. This is a Real 7549 :)

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Well the closer you look at it...the more little things stand out and pics are very hard to tell very well...so sad when that is done...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Any chance you can take that case back off Din and show us what's inside? Any local watch guy should be able to loosen for you for no charge.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well that is a great idea..and some clearer pics...remember he is in Isreal he said and Brother is in NY...wonder where watch is?...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Oh yeah. My guess is that he has the watch in Israel but he was going to send it to his brother to arrange repairs. Not sure how thick in the ground little watch shops are in Israel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: The crown seems to be working fine, I just didn't know how to use it properly. I adjusted the time and date and now I am going to wait a while and see if the mechanism is working as it should.

Update2: Just talked to my dad. He said the watch was sent for a glass change which ended up with a chapter ring not moving.
He also said the movement never broke and suppose to be in great condition.
To sum it up, from what I see right now the watch is going to need new/repo hands, bezel, case back and maybe dial (seems to be the original but it is not clean and does not light in the dark).

I will take new photos soon after I will pop the case back. How hard should it be to find those parts?

PS: The watch is currently in Israel. I will send it my brother once I will figure out the right person for the task. As you guys probably understand my goal is the get this watch to it's original form and in mint condition.

·
Administrator
32,628 Posts
Replacement hands : No problem, Harold/Yobokies.

Bezel insert no problem , Harold again.

Dial, keep the one you have but get it relumed.

Case back, keep checking under any piles of rocking horse droppings you find :)

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
well i would get in contact with Spencer Klein...Cannop does incredible work and is in the UK...You have TigerUK...who everyone knows does amazing work...and so many others...all you have to do is ask...we are sure this is the place to get you the right person to make this great watch back to 100% again ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts