The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an expensive purchase but this is my most worn watch. It's been on a NATO strap which had got a bit smelly after wearing all weekend at a music festival so I took it in the shower yesterday and gave it a wash.

This morning I notice that it's no longer running and the crown is missing - it seems likely the missing crown has affected the waterproofing (too much of a co-incidence).

Is this worth repairing (It has a few knocks as well where I threw it on the road while wearing my bike once)? Any suggestions on where to take it in the UK and a likely cost?

I suspect it's not and I'd happily buy the same again but can't find it in stock anywhere. What's the closest replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think the crown part number is 45E41NS1, and the stem 351892. Both are available to purchase in the UK.

If water has got into the movement, then it will cause rust damage if left too long.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Timpsons are a good place to start- they have an outlet on most high streets and an extremely good service centre in Birmingham (I think) where they send stuff to be repaired or serviced.
They have a menu of costs so you know what you're paying up front too.
They've serviced My 7T32 chrono a couple of times now and my Titanium 8V36 with the US alarm when it packed up and I couldn't find a watchmaker to tackle either.
Both came back like new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A bit of a tangent here, water resist or not I would not wash my watches. Suffice with a wipe with a damp cloth followed by a dry microfibre. If one on a nato, the strap only gets a wash. I do ride with them in rain though. To me metal & glass get clean enought with a wipe. Every few months or so them nooks and crevices get toothpick or matchstick treat!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I see this on global rakuten for $110usd. Probably $130ish after shipping? And you guys have duties to pay too right?

I don't know about timpsons but remember a bad experience from another member. They sell shoes, no? For a newish watch might not be a bad deal but anything vintage I'd probably look elsewhere. They just utilize other watchmakers anyway.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Well it's a quartz watch and if the crown has come out complete with stem then the reason for it stopping may well be that it is currently in 'setting' mode (where the watch is not running). Removing the back and letting any moisture in the watch dissipate, then fitting a new crown and stem 'might' well be all that it needs..........
However if you do decide to replace the watch, while getting a similar Seiko model would seem to be difficult, this similar Citizen 'EcoDrive' (solar) still seems to be available and is currently VERY cheap at Argos .........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts