The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I've recently received my great uncle's Seiko Sea Lion M55 (6206-8001) and would love to repair and restore it.

I would love any and all advice on this, but the primary issues I understand are:
  • Crown pops right out, unable to adjust date/time.
  • I desperately need advice sourcing a replacement band/strap, as this is of course not the original.
  • If anyone can confirm my amateur researching that this is (according to the serial/case number) from 1966?
  • The glass has some knicks - are these able to be polished/cleaned, or should I look into sourcing replacement glass?

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
The crown / stem can be sorted - the set lever spring screw may have become loose or it maybe another simple issue. Easy to do with a full overhaul when the dial is off.

Glass - easy to buff out scratches and worth keeping that glass if there are no cracks in it.

Bracelet - originals are very rare (if it did come with one). Those expanding ones (on it now) are real hair nippers and the ends slowly wear away the case lugs too.

·
Special Member
5,148 Posts
The crown / stem can be sorted - the set lever spring screw may have become loose or it maybe another simple issue. Easy to do with a full overhaul when the dial is off.

Glass - easy to buff out scratches and worth keeping that glass if there are no cracks in it.

Bracelet - originals are very rare (if it did come with one). Those expanding ones (on it now) are real hair nippers and the ends slowly wear away the case lugs too.
Agreed, it would be part of an overhaul of the watch.

·
Special Member
5,148 Posts
Hi there!

I've recently received my great uncle's Seiko Sea Lion M55 (6206-8001) and would love to repair and restore it.

I would love any and all advice on this, but the primary issues I understand are:
  • Crown pops right out, unable to adjust date/time.
  • I desperately need advice sourcing a replacement band/strap, as this is of course not the original.
  • If anyone can confirm my amateur researching that this is (according to the serial/case number) from 1966?
  • The glass has some knicks - are these able to be polished/cleaned, or should I look into sourcing replacement glass?

Thank you for your time!
What happens often with these vintage watches is the release for the stem is pushed too hard and a lever or spring pushes under another and can't set in the right position to catch the slot in the stem. The hands, dial, and date plate need to be removed and the works reset into position if nothing is actually broken. The wire springs are tedious to handle as they can easily 'ping' off the movement and can travel quite a distance.

The bracelet may be hard to find if it came with one. Beads of Rice are popular to put on these or a nice leather strap.

You may be able to polish the crystal if the chips aren't too bad. The entire plane of the surface has to be taken down to the deepest part of the deepest chip to look right. Otherwise the surface will looked warped if polished in just that one spot. Good chance a replacement crystal can be found though.

We have some great guys here that do fantastic work and write ups, welcome to our forums.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I was only stating the set lever (if it is that - note I stated it could be other things) is an easy repair. If a whole overhaul is done they will be charge accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts