The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A friend wants to refinish his dad's watch and asked me to remove the movement from the casing and I've ran into some obstacles here.
I found some info on youtube and random forums, and it looks like the movement is held in place by two bolts that I have removed, and is supposed to come out from the front. Crystal retaining ring is removed along with the crystal, the movement is rotating freely in the case but it is still held in place by the metal ring in the front. I tried to carefully pry it out but decided to stop and ask before messing something up. Any tips?

Watch Analog watch Amber Watch accessory Gas

Automotive lighting Toy Gas Jewellery Wood

Brown Analog watch Watch Clock Wood

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
If I remember correctly this will come out the back.
The metal holding ring may have corroded a little to case.
Remove metal ring and movement will come out the back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - There is a metal ring that keeps the movement from coming out in the back, and that ring seems to be firmly held in place by the plastic outer ring. The two screws I had to remove to release the movement are also set up to hold it from coming out on the front, and that suggests it is the front it is supposed to come out through. :-/
Found some videos of people servicing similar model and for them the movement just fell out through the front side once they removed the two screws.

·
Special Member
5,467 Posts
It looks like the dial is larger than the front ring and the ring is part of the case, normally how a Seiko is built. Remove the ring on the backside, it’s a precise fit between the case and movement so it can be a little tight. Once that is out the movement should be free.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the dial is larger than the front ring and the ring is part of the case, normally how a Seiko is built. Remove the ring on the backside, it’s a precise fit between the case and movement so it can be a little tight. Once that is out the movement should be free.
Yes, you are probably right. Now I just need to figure out a way to do it without damaging anything. I will post back how it ended.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Remove the black rubber gasket at the back..... It may be hardened and brittle and then the movement will come out

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are probably right, but before doing that I'd probably have to source a new one as there is no way this will come out in one piece. It is hard as rock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts