The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to get the chapter ring out of a 6309 case.. finding it difficult. i see an "indentation inside the case and a groove on the ring itself... how do i get the ring out of the case??

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Very easy Cindy, remove the bezel first, then remove the crystal retaining ring and gently push the crystal out from the back and then then just the crystal gasket and seat to remove and Voila the chapter ring is free.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OMG!!! i must be a total idiot!!! next question is...what tool do I use to get the crystal retaining ring off? does it screw on or pop off like the bezel? (I thought I had pretty much all the tools i needed)

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Just pop it off, look for the little cut out around the outside and insert your tool in it and gently twist and Voila again :) it is off.

ps: Scorcher here today so the Voilas are coming into my vocabulary LoL

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is a 6309_xxxx case view. Everything on the top of the case comes out of the front, everything on the bottom comes out the back. All on top are press fit, bezel, crystal retaining ring, then crystal.

Jim
WISconsin USA

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is perfect... thank you... i was just looking for this.....you guys are all great!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
So,the crystal can be removed by hand,without a crystal removing/replacing tool? Maybe i wont bother buying a crystal removing tool after all. Cindy,please let us know how you got on with the job. -Andy

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
Hi Andy you don't need a crystal removing tool what ever one of them is unless you mean the ones were you can not open the case back and every thing comes out from the front. All you need is a bezel removing tool.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
It is preferable to have a crystal press to re-attach the crystal retaining ring. Many people do it by hand, but what can I say- there's a lot of things you can do by hand, but it is better to use the right tool. Using a crystal press with the right size dies allows even force (not "evil force") to be applied to the retaining ring so that it snaps into place. Repeatedly doing it by hand can warp the ring and/or not ensure a proper seating of the crystal and ring.

This is the same principle with snap-case backs. It is preferable there too to use a case closing tool (which doubles as the crystal press, with different dies sometimes needed), as the even forces used will prolong the life of the case back, ensure proper seating of the gasket and case back, and avoid warping the case or case back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I meant a crystal press,lol....one of these
.My intended crystal change will only be done the once,so maybe i will give the "thumbs"method a go before buying a press -Andy

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
cnycoburn said:
i see an "indentation inside the case and a groove on the ring itself...
Cindy i forgot to mention the "indentation" or cut out you see on the chapter ring is were the tab on the dial locates to ensure that the chapter ring is in the correct position relative to the dial.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the crystal came out without a hitch.... very easy. i didnt use the bezel tool, i used my trusty pocket knife. worked great. the crystal just pushed out after the ring came off. the hardest part was finding the groove. (My eyesight isnt the best)

·
Administrator
30,117 Posts
cnycoburn said:
i used my trusty pocket knife. worked great.
I think many people use there pocket knives i used too until i had a mishap some time back, i was putting a bit of pressure on a bezel on a old belle that was sort of seized on and i slipped took a chunk out of my finger a bled like a stuck pig (well that what the wife said !!) but worse than that put a bloody great scratch across the bezel and crystal. :'(

I now use the correct tool which was cheap, does the job perfect and is not sharp if you were to slip :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts