The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reluming of vintage dials is a sin of unspeakable measure in some quarters but to my mind, there are two good reasons for at least contemplating the act, and then one very important consideration required in deciding whether or not to follow through. Some dials just don't age well and if the lume has discoloured unpleasantly, or started to blacken with the onset of mold, then I see no reason not to think about a relume, if for no other good reason than to improve it cosmetically. From a pragmatic point of view, it's quite nice to use and wear a vintage watch whose lume actually does what it was intended to do when originally applied.

Having contemplated the relume, what should give us pause for thought before then going ahead? Well, you only need to survey numerous examples of disasterous attempts at reluming to know why you should only go ahead if you are very confident you are going to get a decent result. I've always taken the view though that if you can pick holes in the work of others, then why not see if you can do any better yourself?

I find myself at this point, having recently restored a old stalwart of my collection, a Seiko 6105-8110, to something approaching its original state, but feeling still dissatisfied at the cosmetic condition of the dial. You can form your own opinions about whether you would have gone ahead with a relume based on the following view of the dial and handset removed from the case:

For me, the hour markers are sufficiently grotty territory that I know they will always bug me and with my resolve strengthening, I throw caution to the wind, and breach the point of no return:

The rest of the process is documented in my blog here

http://adventuresinamateurwatchfett...4/09/04/reluming-a-seiko-6105-dial-and-hands/

Somewhat to my surprise, I've ended up with a result which I am really rather pleased with. Here's a detail shot of the markers at the top of the dial:

and here are a couple of shots of the completed watch.

Martin

·
Registered
912 Posts
Good work! I'm with you, I think there is just as much worth, or more, in a well re-lumed dial compared to a manky original. However it does depend on the condition of the rest of the watch. The end result has to be in keeping with the overall condition.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Beautiful job. My thoughts are that lume is a functioning part of the watch. I wouldn't put up with a dodgy movement so the same with lume, it has to work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with relumes.

If the movement in an old watch is buggered, I would get it fixed. Same goes, if the lume of a watch doesn't perform it's intended function, I'd relume it.

Having a functional time piece with history makes more sense to me rather than an old piece of horological furniture.

Just my point of view on this topic matter.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You've got me thinking....

Great lume job....I just got this 6105 today at the swap meet and have already ordered a replacement dial , hands , and insert.....but I have been thinking about starting to relume some of my watches myself . I looked at a few videos on you tube and have looked at relume kits on the 'bay. Which lume kit did you use ? ....Thanks , Louis

Seiko 6105 #1.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great lume job....I just got this 6105 today at the swap meet and have already ordered a replacement dial , hands , and insert.....but I have been thinking about starting to relume some of my watches myself . I looked at a few videos on you tube and have looked at relume kits on the 'bay. Which lume kit did you use ? ....Thanks , Louis
Hi Louis,
I used the Bergeon lume kit, supplemented with a second bottle of luminous powder in yellow.
Martin

http://uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
169 Posts
The reluming of vintage dials is a sin of unspeakable measure in some quarters but to my mind, there are two good reasons for at least contemplating the act, and then one very important consideration required in deciding whether or not to follow through. Some dials just don't age well and if the lume has discoloured unpleasantly, or started to blacken with the onset of mold, then I see no reason not to think about a relume, if for no other good reason than to improve it cosmetically. From a pragmatic point of view, it's quite nice to use and wear a vintage watch whose lume actually does what it was intended to do when originally applied.

Having contemplated the relume, what should give us pause for thought before then going ahead? Well, you only need to survey numerous examples of disasterous attempts at reluming to know why you should only go ahead if you are very confident you are going to get a decent result. I've always taken the view though that if you can pick holes in the work of others, then why not see if you can do any better yourself?

I find myself at this point, having recently restored a old stalwart of my collection, a Seiko 6105-8110, to something approaching its original state, but feeling still dissatisfied at the cosmetic condition of the dial. You can form your own opinions about whether you would have gone ahead with a relume based on the following view of the dial and handset removed from the case:

For me, the hour markers are sufficiently grotty territory that I know they will always bug me and with my resolve strengthening, I throw caution to the wind, and breach the point of no return:

The rest of the process is documented in my blog here

http://adventuresinamateurwatchfett...4/09/04/reluming-a-seiko-6105-dial-and-hands/

Somewhat to my surprise, I've ended up with a result which I am really rather pleased with. Here's a detail shot of the markers at the top of the dial:

and here are a couple of shots of the completed watch.

Martin

Congrats, it looks beautiful!! Say, where is that nato from, with the squarish keepers? Kind of look like the one that comes with the blancpain's bathyscaphe...would you mind sharing more pics from buckle and wrist shots? Cheers

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats, it looks beautiful!! Say, where is that nato from, with the squarish keepers? Kind of look like the one that comes with the blancpain's bathyscaphe...would you mind sharing more pics from buckle and wrist shots? Cheers
The NATO is from Timefactors in the UK. The only wrist shot I've got is of a 6117 Navigator fitted with the same strap.

The buckle is quite different from the usual NATO fare but I've got no photos to hand. If you check out the Timefactors website, you should be able to find what you need.

Martin

·
Registered
169 Posts
The NATO is from Timefactors in the UK. The only wrist shot I've got is of a 6117 Navigator fitted with the same strap.

The buckle is quite different from the usual NATO fare but I've got no photos to hand. If you check out the Timefactors website, you should be able to find what you need.

Martin

Great, I'll give it a go. I just read your blog about your relume job, outstanding work! plus the triplock work on your crown, no wonder this beautiful piece is your go to watch, it has another 40 years of life ahead. My birthyear, in need of a vintagy reluming job says hi...hint hint :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410181586.579827.jpg

Oh, and i assume it's an 18mm right? Or did you find a 19mm?

·
Registered
708 Posts
FWIW I've also used the Noctilumina lume before and I really like it. I can't compare it to the Bergeon lume, which I would assume is very quality stuff, but Noctilumina is pretty reasonable.

On the subject, I also agree with the idea of reluming dials, particularly these older Seiko and Citizen ones with lume that can look grotty and grimy.

Here's my 52-0110 relumed with Noctilumina.

·
Registered
912 Posts
FWIW I've also used the Noctilumina lume before and I really like it. I can't compare it to the Bergeon lume, which I would assume is very quality stuff, but Noctilumina is pretty reasonable.

On the subject, I also agree with the idea of reluming dials, particularly these older Seiko and Citizen ones with lume that can look grotty and grimy.

Here's my 52-0110 relumed with Noctilumina.

Is that ready made lume or do you mix it up? I use Bergeon too and really like it, but have not used anything else to compare.

·
Administrator
30,642 Posts
I found the Noctilumina good (easy) to use but then they stopped selling it outside the USA due to some new contract they had ? great for easy relumes but i now send away for a hard relume (6309 etc).

I did this 6105 and it glows like a torch under the covers :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Is that ready made lume or do you mix it up? I use Bergeon too and really like it, but have not used anything else to compare.

You mix it. He sells the lume in two consistencies -- fine and ultra fine. He also sells different binders depending on what you're looking to do. My kit came with lume powder, binder, thinner, a bowl, and glass mixing stick.

Sent by carrier pigeon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts