The Watch Site banner

Relume or not ?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 6105 dial i am working on, i am going to change the Seiko Logo, clean and relume the hands but i can't make up my mind with the dial whether to relume or leave as is, what is your opinions ? my inclination is to leave as is with some wabi but all original, Thanks

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Hey John, was curious what or how you plan to fix the Seiko logo?
I have a bent up Seiko logo too that is an eyesore to me. :(
Would like to get some ideas on what to do?
Good luck on this restoration. ;)

Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMESHO the hands and logo definately need some work.

As for the dial itself, the lume doesn't look too bad to my untrained eye, but the silvering around the edge of the markers (?) could do with a tidy up.

Wasn't there a recent post where one of the forummers had done some work on restoring his silver markers ?.

Edit - Found it

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,2784.msg12649.html#msg12649

I suppose it all depends if the crud is on the lume, and thus affecting the markers, or is it on the markers, and consequently affecting the lume.

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sharkfinDave said:
Hey John, was curious what or how you plan to fix the Seiko logo?
I have a bent up Seiko logo too that is an eyesore to me. :(
Would like to get some ideas on what to do?
Good luck on this restoration. ;)

Thanks, Dave.
Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave all i do is find a donor dial and then "just" swap the logo over, delicate and flimsy job to do but i have done quite a few with good results.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I would personally relume this one (or more specifically, get someone else to relume it..) To really try to clean the hour markers it is probably going to be easier to remove the lume first and then hopefully, if the black isn't too etched into the chrome around the hour markers, it may come out looking very nice. If you have to relume the hands anyway, at least they would match.

As far as the technique I used in the thread referenced by catflem above, I have tried this on a 6217 as in the following picture of when I was about half way through:

This 6217 was in a very sorry state when I got it (It still is I guess :) ) as the dial had already had all the chrome material removed around the markers. I think the technique I used will produce usable results though as per the photo. I hadn't finished cleaning up the lower edges in the shot above with a razor blade so it looks a little more crisp now. I also changed the Seiko marker on this dial as you plan to do. The biggest issue as I discovered later was trying to apply the lume after using the bare metal foil, it requires an awful lot of patience and I ended up with a couple of mistakes that have unfortunately forced me to restart the whole dial. If at first you don't succeed.....

I don't think your dial is in need of this type of restoration though, worst case scenario is that you have a few small marks on the chrome surrounds after removing the lume and cleaning which I think could easily be lived with. As far as those hands, I would be interested to see how clean you are able to get them. My experience has been that once they get like that they are near impossible to clean up enough. If the rest of the dial cleanup goes well, I would be tempted to have them stripped and re-plated which doesn't cost a lot. Sourcing better hour and minute hands is also not difficult but the seconds hand can be a royal pain to find a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
IMHO, unless you like the moldy look, there is nothing to gain from leaving this particular dial in this kind of condition. If you can remove that mold without ruining the dial and saving the original lume, then maybe (and that's a big maybe) leave it along. Personally I think you should just strip it, clean it, restore it and relume it. If you want a distressed look, you can always go for modern lume that looks aged.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have relumed two 6105 Seiko dials. One of them had ruined chrome hour markers. I bought an aftermarket dial and removed the plastic chrome marks and then glued over the marks of the original dial. The result was very nice.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
samgher said:
I have relumed two 6105 Seiko dials. One of them had ruined chrome hour markers. I bought an aftermarket dial and removed the plastic chrome marks and then glued over the marks of the original dial. The result was very nice.

Hi, any pics? would love to see the results. ;)

Thanks, Dave.

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
samgher said:
That sounds interesting i would like to see the finished results.

This dial and hands cleaned up pretty well and after i relumed it the result was ok.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I found a "plug and play" brush nickel plating system that could be used for selective plating (small pieces and parts). It cost $33 and could be used for watch hands and hour markers restoration. Find it in http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm. There is a demostrative video. Unfortunately I live abroad and can't buy it.

Here is the picture of my 6105-8000 with original dial and chrome markers removed and glued from an aftermarket one.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Speaking of luming, I'm using a lume that comes out very very smooth - but looking at many original dials the lume has what I think of as a salt crystal look to it; large-grained. Is that a result of age or is that how it looked when it was new, or do I need to get a different lume material? I'm currently using lume kits out of Louisville, CO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts