The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 6309-7040. It's in all original shape, with a few nicks on the case/bezel and some marks on the crystal. Overall in very nice shape for its age ... but once again the lume is nonexistent. I don't know if I should send it for a relume, as I kinda like knowing it's "all original." What would SCWF do???

Some pics from today:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I went over this with the boys over a year ago....leave it original. Your 6309 is very nice. It's getting very rare to find 100% original pieces in 85%+ condition.
I think about reluming mine all the time, (I don't even wear it at night because there is no lume )but....I just can't do it.

Maybe a Tusnami would cure my itch:)

My 6309-7049 says ^-^

·
Registered
501 Posts
It is a personal decision honestly. If it not having lume bothers you then get it redone. Or buy a XM dial and replace that one but still keep the dial.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It pains me to see nice stock watches modified......I"m also afraid of you getting your watch back with blobs of paint on the indices :-[

How about keeping that nice stocker...and then buying an ebay 6309 special and lume that one out! These nice stock watches don't grow on trees anymore!
Keep it real man!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I feel a need to voice a minority opinion. Lume is a functional design characteristic of a 6309 diver. To have it re-lumed is not a sin. Only a bad re-lume is a sin. A proper job from Kent Parks, Jack Alexyon, Ken Setster or Randall Benson would be a wonderful thing to have. I don't see a properly executed re-lume as any more invasive of the integrity of a 6309 than a new crystal or a set of gaskets. That being said, wabi is nice too...Also, before anyone jumps my [email protected]@t for heritical hypocracy, no, I would not re-lume 1960's Rolex mil-sub or Omega Seamaster 300 or Blancpain FF. But that's the wonderful thing about 6309's. They are the affordable collectable that you shouldn't have to put in a museum to look at. It's an icon and a working stiff's watch all at once.

·
Registered
501 Posts
sjbrook said:
I feel a need to voice a minority opinion. Lume is a functional design characteristic of a 6309 diver. To have it re-lumed is not a sin. Only a bad re-lume is a sin. A proper job from Kent Parks, Jack Alexyon, Ken Setster or Randall Benson would be a wonderful thing to have. I don't see a properly executed re-lume as any more invasive of the integrity of a 6309 than a new crystal or a set of gaskets. That being said, wabi is nice too...Also, before anyone jumps my [email protected]@t for heritical hypocracy, no, I would not re-lume 1960's Rolex mil-sub or Omega Seamaster 300 or Blancpain FF. But that's the wonderful thing about 6309's. They are the affordable collectable that you shouldn't have to put in a museum to look at. It's an icon and a working stiff's watch all at once.
I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
here's the deal,

that is a killer dial. while lume is a "functional" issue, mint, originality is a rare commodity. if you NEED to have lume, buy an AM dial and lume it and a pair of AM hands and install into the watch. once you touch that original dial, you CAN'T go back =) that dial lasted 30 years looking great.....why alter it now....

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
sjbrook said:

Perfectly stated. The only real decision here is if YOU want lume for that warm nighttime glow. A good relume from one of the noted masters would be in order though, merely to preserve that original aesthetic quality of the dial we all love so much. Executed correctly you have a more functional watch and wont lose a dime on value or originality IMHO..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for all the opinions. I'll write a nice post later today with my decision ... just too swamped at work right now.

-Adam

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. For now I just ordered my 3rd 6309 and wait for arrival from Ebay. I plan to have that modded since i love the case so much and plan for it to have a nice lume. For now I'ma keep my other all original.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
spring-diver said:
I went over this with the boys over a year ago....leave it original. Your 6309 is very nice. It's getting very rare to find 100% original pieces in 85%+ condition.
I think about reluming mine all the time, (I don't even wear it at night because there is no lume )but....I just can't do it.

Maybe a Tusnami would cure my itch:)

My 6309-7049 says ^-^

[/quote]

Adam, keep it original, yours is really nice. Unless its in an ugly state like this one, then do it.
[IMG]

But as spring diver says, maybe tsunami also, I agree, everyone needs both a 6309 original, and one of these. ;)
Dave
[IMG]

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm going to go against the opinion voiced here ;D and say that I would leave the dial original. These iconic 6309 divers in original condition with nicely aged lume are very collectible now, and in my case I quite honestly don't really need the lume anyway. But if the lume was really gross, then a good relume would absolutely be in order.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
I suppose it all depends what YOU want ? do you want an all original 6309 with a nice original dial that does not glow or do you want a nice original 6309 who's dial Lume glows like they did when they were new ? from what i have seen you won't get a NOS 6309 dial that still glows so YOU have two choices, live with it as it is or have it relumed.

I have seen some of the Lume work from the experts and it is superb and at the end of the day even though a really nice 6309 is scarce they are still available and at the end of the day it is not a overly valuable piece, personally i would do what YOU fancy.

As some one said, we change crystals, gaskets so why not relume to bring it back to how it left the factory ??

just my .0001 pence worth :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, thanks for all the responses. ** Drum Roll ** I have decided to keep it all original. With that said ... I'm going to give serious consideration to the following:

1. Another 6309-7040, maybe from Stephen Go ... then have it relumed.
2. A Tsunami ... need to research this watch some more, don't know much about it.
3. I have had my eyes on the Tuna SBBN015, but it may out of my price range atm.

-Adam

·
Registered
547 Posts
sjbrook said:
Excellent advice, Sean. If not having the lume redone diminishes your enjoyment of the watch, by all means get one of the experts to do it. I don't think it takes anything away from the watch. I'm sending my Citizen Promaster 800 to Kent next month. I know I'll enjoy the watch all that much more when he's done with it.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
A wiser man than me once said: "A watch is only original once".

;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts