The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

My Seiko 7S26-7020 divers watch loses about 1-2 mins per day. I've read topics on the internet about keeping automatic watches in time by laying them face down, vertically overnight.

Is this just a myth or does it really work?

cheers:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good morning.

My Seiko 7S26-7020 divers watch loses about 1-2 mins per day. I've read topics on the internet about keeping automatic watches in time by laying them face down, vertically overnight.

Is this just a myth or does it really work?

cheers:)
Yep, it works. Laying the watch face up or face down tends to make the watch run a bit faster. Setting them stem down, seems to make them run a bit slower. Don't expect 2 mins worth of change however.

·
Special Member
6,538 Posts
A lot of are thinking "do we dare indicate to regulate using trial-and-error?"

Spin off the back and you will see the 2 levers that regulate the watch. One, the ONLY one you want to turn, is the top one when you look at it. It should be moved A LITTLE BIT closer to the big "+" sign because it is too slow now and you want it to run faster. The other is the beat regulator (makes the first half of the tick equal to the second half of the tock) which you do NOT want to move at all.

See how that works and tweak and re-tweak as needed.

For a standard 7S26 figure +/- 20 seconds per day is fine. You can get it really close but not without a Timegrapher or you will go nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If you're an iDevice guy you can use an app like WatchCollector to take snapshots of the dial during the day and match the time shown against an atomic clock. It then calculated the 'drift' between snapshots to help you work out how many seconds you've gained or lost. Very handy for someone without access to the proper timing equipment.

I use a toothpick or sharpened match to make my adjustments.

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
If it's running two minutes a day out- the chances are it needs a service/repair, not regulating, especially if the regulator arm is somewhere near the middle of range.
Checking the beat error would be a good plan.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have one or two questions now I've decided to regulate my 6R15.

Does it matter if you adjust the regulator arm while the watch is running or should you let the mainspring wind down first?

Also, does it matter if you accidentally stop the balance wheel while regulating it? I misjudged the distance with my toothpick and went too low...

·
Researcher
5,031 Posts
I wouldn't personally touch a 6R15 - as they're very well regulated at the factory, so any worthwhile improvement will need a timing machine and special techniques which may involve a partial movement strip down.
The Etachron regulator needs different adjustment protocols to other Seikos, to reduce the isochronism - if you play with one thing, you'll change another.
Try not to touch the balance/hairspring at all, it's extremely easy to mess up a part that is not so easily obtained.
Sorry to be so negative - but it's so easy to kill a good movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts