The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a unique (to me anyway) octagonal Pulsar Y182 with a bezel worn down to the base metal.

Is there a way to refinish the bezel, or perhaps the entire case if the bezel can't be removed? I've seen some discussion about replacing bezels, but this one is unique, so...

Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
You could re-surface the bezel, lot of money, or un-surface, just take the remaining plating off. I use Artifex buffing wheels, nothing more than an abrasive embedded into a rubberized wheel, but sandpaper will do, very fine grit, something over 800, maybe 1200. Take it all down to the same finish, then, re-paint the numbers by over painting the markings. I just dab in the paint with the end of a plastic micro swab, the recessed markings act like a well, holding the paint. As it dries, it shrinks, and any excess can be wiped off with a piece of cloth, dipped into acetone, and wrapped around the end of a chopstick. Keeps the cloth from getting into the recessed area, and only removes the excess paint. Chopsticks are available from Bergeon, for 29.95 a set, or, from your kitchen drawer.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Yes the repainting is the easy part, as holonalu points out. I don't even bother with the acetone because I get to the rubbing off after no more than a minute. I use Testors model paint enamel.

To me, the plating situation is just patina. It is what it is. The watch has history and real life has set in. Replating is a ton of money when done right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the repainting is the easy part, as holonalu points out. I don't even bother with the acetone because I get to the rubbing off after no more than a minute. I use Testors model paint enamel.

To me, the plating situation is just patina. It is what it is. The watch has history and real life has set in. Replating is a ton of money when done right.
You make a good point. I'll have to give that some thought. The underlying metal appears to be brass, so I don't think I want to remove the rest of the plating because I don't think a brass colored case would be to my liking. So, the question is to "restore" the case, or let it tell its story.

I appreciate your point of view.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You make a good point. I'll have to give that some thought. The underlying metal appears to be brass, so I don't think I want to remove the rest of the plating because I don't think a brass colored case would be to my liking. So, the question is to "restore" the case, or let it tell its story.

I appreciate your point of view.
I'm for this 100%...the beauty of wabi-sabi!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts