The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I just found this board today and wanted to introduce myself and explain how I got here.

First of all, I will readily admit that I'm not an expert collector or anything close. But I've had a love of watches since I was a kid. Every time my dad bought a new watch, I would receive his "old" one. This has happened numerous times over the years and as recently as a couple years ago. He knows I like them as much as he does.

I've had a lot of different watches over the years. Some have been great and are still in my possession, and some were just cheap & functional for a time and I have no idea where they've ended up.

Recently the watch I've been wearing the last couple years had the battery die out on me. I haven't had time to get it replaced. So, I started looking around and found one of my favorite watches. It's a Seiko 6309-7049 that I bought in the early 1980s. I was stationed at Kadena AB, on the island of Okinawa, Japan. I bought the watch from the Base Exchange when I started working on getting my dive certification. It has been used on numerous dives of various depths and as deep as 120 ft a couple of times. This watch has been worn intermittently over the years, as I've bought and worn other watches now and then. But I seem to always keep coming back to this watch. So, when my other watch died on me a couple weeks ago, I set the time on my 6309, gave it a few shakes to get it moving and put it on. It's been running great ever since, like it had never stopped. Even though it hasn't been worn in almost 10 years.

As I've worn this watch over the last few days, I kept looking at it and and appreciating it. I started to wonder what I could learn about it online. So I started searching. I've been amazed at the number of collectors out there and the sites dedicated specifically to diver watches! And even more pleasantly surprised to see how many love this particular model of watch. I've learned a great deal in just a few days, thanks to the online watch enthusiast community.

Here's a shot I took this evening with my phone's camera. Considering this watch's history and the fact that it's never been serviced, I think it's in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thought crossed my mind, VERY briefly. The fact is, I couldn't sell it. I've loved this watch since the day I bought it and it's been a faithful friend through the years. I hope to wear this watch for many more years to come. I may buy a new band for it though. The band on it is original and, while still functional, has seen a lot of use.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Beautiful watch but a word of advice...aged dive straps, no matter how good they look, have a nasty propensity to break unexpectedly. You may want to considers a new one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saul said:
Beautiful watch but a word of advice...aged dive straps, no matter how good they look, have a nasty propensity to break unexpectedly. You may want to considers a new one.

Yeah, that's on my short list of things to do. I will keep the original band just because it's original. But since I plan on wearing the watch more, I am going to get a new band.

On that topic, a couple quick questions...

1) What is a good, reliable source for a replacement Seiko band? I've seen them on Amazon and have been considering buying one there.

2) This is more a solicitation of your opinions... would you get a band that is the same style as the original...

...or the newer design with the curves?

[img]

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Welcome - definitely Z22 flat vent or SuperOyster w. custom 6309 solid end links!

You have a beautiful, classic (perhaps THE Seiko classic?) watch with your own history in it - you MUST keep it. Have you checked our faqs and archives for the 6309 stuff?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Welcome Looks to be a Very Nice 6309 It has a nice fresh looking HK Dial Lately some Top Shelf 6309s have been w/ HK Dials

Nice flat Z22 Strap and a Keeper for Life i'm sure

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A flat vent is generally the rule on "proper" but whatever floats yer boat. Of all the possible alternatives the only one that I have found that I like as much stylistically is a the classic ladder style. Currently I only have the very affordable Time Factors "retro" version...

http://www.timefactors.com/rubber.htm

But one of these days I'm going to drop some $$$ on the Isofrane reissue...

http://isofrane.com/isofrane_strap.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, I smile each morning when I put this watch on my wrist. :)

If I could change just one thing in the design of this watch, and there's really only one thing I'd want to change, it would be the ability to hack.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. It's a piece of mechanical art.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still wondering if anyone knows of reliable sources for the bands. If nobody has a better suggestion, I'll probably get them from Amazon.

But if there is a better source, please share. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.