The Watch Site banner

Recent Pickup and Overhaul - 73 Seiko 6139-6015

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  mmcenall 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been restoring a lot of these 6139-60xx series chronos over the past several months for other forum members so I decided to pick one up for myself. Nothing fancy here in terms for Proof or Resist dial. Just a nice clean example for daily wear. Polished the crystal and serviced the movement. Dial and hands were in excellent condition. It came on a nice original railroad bracelet but I have decided to wear this on a new Di Modell Rallye Strap. A classic.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful. If that was a July production, I'd be PM'ing with offers.

#4 ·
I used a method of taking a brass nut and some diamond lapping paste of various grades and hand lapping the crystal to remove the scratches. You then finish it off with cerium oxide powder mixed with a bit of water for the final polish. The crystal is not perfect but it is original and a ton better than I started with.

Check out some of DonJ53's threads in the Watchmaking section on how to do this process.

Reactions: jringo8769
#5 ·
Another stunner a John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
John Sir I wish I Had/Owned one to send you😜
Superb And although I’m Known for Big Divers my Taste has been changing over the years after seeing a Lot of these 6139’s Members Show And That’s Very Nice
Plus in the Blue Dial I prefer over the Gold Pogue one.
Maybe I should look for one to own but have Not a Clue on what to look for and will probably end up with one full of AM Parts🙈

#9 ·
Nice work John but 1 is never enough............:)

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind words guys. This one had a few challenges. The upper pinion on the chrono wheel was bent and I learned a valuable lesson trying to straighten it, don't. The end of the pinion ended up snapping off so I had to source a very expensive chrono wheel for this one. Other than that, the movement was in great shape. There was a small ding in the upper outer bezel ring which I could not see in the ebay photos. Took some time to tap this out from the underside using one of the stakes from my K&D staking set and my bench vise anvil. I was then able to sand the top surface on some 600 wet and then progress to a high polish. Honest, you cannot even see where the ding in the bezel was. Very happy with that result. The only down side to this 73 B movement is it has a plastic day finger and plastic intermediate date gear which in the earlier models were metal. Seiko was obviously cost cutting at this point in time.

Reactions: jringo8769
#14 ·
The only down side to this 73 B movement is it has a plastic day finger and plastic intermediate date gear which in the earlier models were metal. Seiko was obviously cost cutting at this point in time.
Hi John,great job.

Regarding the 73's movement,i think you're wrong.Proof on the A version have the metal one,but never seen yet a 6139B with the same,even from 1972.

#19 ·
Well, given the 71 date, I see no reason why it would not have a metal day finger and date driving wheel. I am not exactly sure when seiko switched over to plastic parts but believe it was mid 70s. Tom,SeikoPsycho2 and Jon, Grammarofdesign are very knowledgeable with these Pogues and could likely pinpoint the month and year for these transitions on movements and parts. You might IM one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.