The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[size=1em]This one started life as a Ramon special- a 7546 Sports 100 that I bought for the black day and date dials for my last mod. It started life looking like this:

I liked the case too much to just leave it in the drawer, so Idecided to see what else I had lying around. Enter this sad old 6309 dress watch:

A 6309-7310 from March 1984 - I liked the dial on this one, but thecase wore a little small for my liking, so I hadn't done anything to itsince I picked it up.

The one thing I didn't like was the 5 logo, so I stripped and polished the dial:

Filled the holes left by the "5" logo, sanded again, then sprayed the dial with primer and avery thin coats of matt black enamel:

I then stripped the indices and mounted them before spraying them white as a base for the lume:

I then relumed the indices (I love Noctiluma - this was myfirst go at reluming and I love working with the stuff!) and swapped ina diver's second hand. Then I added a new domed mineral glass crystalfrom a local watch supply house. The bezel insert had quite clearly hadit and is an odd size that I couldn't find an easy replacement for, soI fashioned a replacement out of a bit of steel I had lying around(Tricky without a lathe!) Popped it on a "real" bond NATO it's done:

And the all important lume shot:

Hope you enjoy it...

Alex

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tony,

The bezel insert is an odd size, and very narrow...the steel looks better on the wrist than in the photos (you don't notice the gaps!) and was mostly made to see what I could do with a bit of scrap and a file! It may change in the future if I find anything that fits...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
II am always amazed at how good you finish your Dials The Paint looks Smooth, The LUME GREAT

I would love to see a Black Day/date wheel In Arabic with the Blue and Red Days against the Black Dial.

If your interested I will look to see if I have a decent Drop In Day/date Wheel in Arabic Crown at 4 and 6309 should be easy.

Nice work

I just read the top of your post I see you had a Black Day/date Should have read the whole post or Get to BED

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seikozen said:
II am always amazed at how good you finish your Dials The Paint looks Smooth, The LUME GREAT

I would love to see a Black Day/date wheel In Arabic with the Blue and Red Days against the Black Dial.

If your interested I will look to see if I have a decent Drop In Day/date Wheel in Arabic Crown at 4 and 6309 should be easy.

Nice work

I just read the top of your post I see you had a Black Day/date Should have read the whole post or Get to BED
Thanks Russell,

I've got the black day/date on this one and it looks great:

You're right it might look good on this one as well...I hadn't thought about that...food for thought.

Alex

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
colburge said:
I think the insert you made looks really good, it suits the watch, you should keep it.

Col
Thanks Col,

I'll post pics of the newly added bezel later and see what everyone thinks...rest assured the homemade one (which began life as an eggtimer!) won't be going far.

Alex

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As promised here are the pics with the new bezel, the slope of the bezel follows the line of the domed crystal and looks like it was meant to be...

The photos have made it clear to me that the new bezel does need a bit of a clean and polish...

What do you reckon everyone?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I really like both versions. It's really interesting to see what people on here get up to that you wouldn't necessarily think of doing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts