The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really tight caseback that will not loosen. I have a caceback opener and a very small vise. Any advice on how to open the caseback is much appreciated ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
hmm... I had that problem once.
I have a case opener, a really tight caseback, a wrench, but no vise.
my solution = my sliding door to my backyard and really steady hand. (my makeshift vise :eek: )

***try at your own risk, I will not take any responsibility***

not sure if you want to try this, but i wrapped some corrigated cardboard around the case (to protect it from scratches and such things) and gripped it with a wrench, then placed the case in-between the door and wall, like a door jam. not too tight, just snug. then gave a slight twist at the caseback and... tada!
no scratch, no dent, caseback released, and one happy dude.

but you got a vise! you dont need to grip it so tight like jaws of life. but just need a stopper like set up so that the case wont rotate with the caseback. best of luck.
hopefully others will chime in with a less primitive method ;D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
30,123 Posts
Some times it can also help if you tighten it a shade more before you try to undo it.

Then there is the hot and cold treatment which can help as well.

Then there is the curse and curse even more method just before you are tempted to hit it very hard with a hammer !! seriously i have had some that tight i think a steam press had been used on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
Some times it can also help if you tighten it a shade more before you try to undo it.

Then there is the hot and cold treatment which can help as well.




Then there is the curse and curse even more method just before you are tempted to hit it very hard with a hammer !! seriously i have had some that tight i think a steam press had been used on them.

I asked you not to give away my secrets. Took me 11 years in the Navy to develop the vocabulary necessary to repair watches.
Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
To my experience, it comes down to the stability of the vice.
But once I was getting mad until I reckoned, that it was a false screw down back, that actually was just pressed on! :)

Cheers,

Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
JoepeteJokla said:
I have a really tight caseback that will not loosen. I have a caceback opener and a very small vise. Any advice on how to open the caseback is much appreciated ...
Try cooling the caseback with an ice cube to contract it slightly. Takes a little while but has worked for me.
You could also try the freezing spray that you use for freezing water pipes. Whichever method, the trick is obviously to cool the back and not the case.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
If all else fails take it in to a watch repairer and just ask him to loosen the back for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I have an LG wrench and a crap vise... the aluminum one with the nylon dies that costs like 3$.
usually the LG can open anything.

sometimes its about using the right inserts or blades or what ever you call those little dinguses, that insert into the wrench.

and yes tiny taps with hammer do help awaken old threads.
If that does not work I go to my watchmaker, and the parts guys very conveniently next door ,
(84 and 88 bowery for you folks in the city pardon my shameless plug)
with my tail between my legs and ask the guys to borrow the "real' vise. Or 'real' tool they have a bergeron big thing with a wheel on it that costs like 2 grand or something crazy.

Usually they are happy to help- but I do buy most if not all of my crap there, yes its overpriced but when its time for stuff like this, or to 'borrow' the pin vise, or the staking set, or the begeron bezel tool..

and its always a mixture of disgust and fascination that they 'loan' me these things in their store.
to watch me use something wrong, then they sigh and help out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Hi there! Ive had good success with WD 40 though I dont spray it on directly since it might seep into the case and ruin the dial. I just spray the WD into a small container. dip a toothpick into the liquid and run the toothpick around the caseback edge. The liquid sucks in pretty fast. I set the watch dial side up and wait a bit. Loosens up pretty quick.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
kmcnyc said:
I have an LG wrench and a crap vise... the aluminum one with the nylon dies that costs like 3$.
usually the LG can open anything.

sometimes its about using the right inserts or blades or what ever you call those little dinguses, that insert into the wrench.

and yes tiny taps with hammer do help awaken old threads.
If that does not work I go to my watchmaker, and the parts guys very conveniently next door ,
(84 and 88 bowery for you folks in the city pardon my shameless plug)
with my tail between my legs and ask the guys to borrow the "real' vise. Or 'real' tool they have a bergeron big thing with a wheel on it that costs like 2 grand or something crazy.

Usually they are happy to help- but I do buy most if not all of my crap there, yes its overpriced but when its time for stuff like this, or to 'borrow' the pin vise, or the staking set, or the begeron bezel tool..

and its always a mixture of disgust and fascination that they 'loan' me these things in their store.
to watch me use something wrong, then they sigh and help out.
Kevin,

Are you talking about Star Findings? He has the Bergeon Bezel Tool?

Best,
Myles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You all for Your kind help !

Luckily, I have a very friendly watchmaker, so I will let him help me out ... probably the best solution for me ;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top