The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this one "by accident". I wás looking for "stimmgabel" watches. But this German seller thought this watch might have one of those movements. (no) But the nice case and the "discusafe" on the back meant it probably had something nice lurking behind the lid.

Well the watch is very cool seventies, it works but with a very strange sound, trrrk, trrrk, trrrk....

Whát? :confused:

I asked Piotr from crazywatches and of course he already has one :)
Nice reading!
http://www.crazywatches.pl/arctos-375-provita-chrono-quartz-1972

And it looks nice on the wrist :) (after I had put the gear of the keyless works back in place that came dislodged of course when I cleaned the case :( )

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Very cool watch :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Very interesting beast. How is it for accuracy?
I just missed a Mirexal Record-Golay from Poland...they are not known for great time-keeping, though. Also worked on a Timex Model 63 that turned out to be a great timekeeper (but a real challenge to repair)...not made for service.
Congratulations on the score.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Mirexal is also very rare, I'd like one of those too! No idea about the accuracy yet, according to my quartz tester the circuit is running at +83 seconds a month. For my uncalibrated tester that means about +60 seconds a month :)
I still have to discover how it works out with the pin pallet movement and the simple balance :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Dutch, are you aware of Paul 'Silver Hawk' who owns the website electric-watches.co.uk ? Hes a mate of mine and a bit of a guru when it comes to electric balance wheel movements.....

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dutch, are you aware of Paul 'Silver Hawk' who owns the website electric-watches.co.uk ? Hes a mate of mine and a bit of a guru when it comes to electric balance wheel movements.....
I'm very aware of him, thank you :) He repaired my Megasonic!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff.... I thought you might :)
His site is one of those sites that are véry bad for my wallet :) I usually mess around with watches myself, but I didn't wanted to risk this Omega, with it's oil filled micro motor and magnetic gears...

·
Registered
845 Posts
His site is one of those sites that are véry bad for my wallet :) I usually mess around with watches myself, but I didn't wanted to risk this Omega, with it's oil filled micro motor and magnetic gears...
Don't even THINK of servicing an f720, unless you have considerable experience with TF watches. The oil-filled micromotor is not much of an issue...nothing to service. But if you lose grip on the 2nd or 3rd wheels such that they attach to the permanent magnets, they are toast...and good luck finding a replacement.

You know, after further considertion, that Megasonic is just going to cause you heartbreak...you should probably send it to me; I'll find it a good home...(lol).

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but you're too late because the watch is already repaired and serviced by Paul from electric watches :) It runs great and the sound really annoys my girlfriend, so a win/win situation ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You cannot beat a hummer for noise can you? At one stage, I had a number of them all on the bedside table humming/buzzing away. Boy did I get a reaction from the wife!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Megasonic sounds really weird, like little screaming robots that are dropped alive in a high speed grinding and mutilating machine...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Classic description.

The f300s can range in sound from a mild almost silent hum to a (in the words of an old female colleague) sex toy.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the F300 sounds beautiful, the sound of the indexing mechanism is much more silent.

I thought of another Megasonic sound description, just look for Tie fighters on youtube :)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
i love anything weird and quirky....great find for sure...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts