The Watch Site banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Special Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frederique Constant is releasing a 40hz mechanical watch that uses a single-piece silicon balance in place of the traditional Swiss lever. There's a really great video at the top of this article - worth the 12 minutes to check it out. Frederique Constant is owned by Citizen - maybe we could see this tech in a Japanese watch in a few years? Here's hoping! That Accutron/Spring-Drive level of smoothness in the sweep second hand is just awesome...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty mind blowing. I wonder what the mean time between failures is for parts like this? Also, how shock resistant? I noted that one of the speakers said that the movement would use no oil on the oscillator, which will replace the entire balance wheel assembly. 10x the steps of a mechanical/automatic second hand. Pretty impressive.

·
Special Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a fair question - all that flexing makes my mind think of failures due to material fatigue. Having said that, silicon is a pretty amazing material...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Amazing innovation.
Really showcase what modern material, engineering and manufacturing can do to improve mechanical watch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts