The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Totally real. SRPD95 or SRPD71 or such.

What might be confusing is this is not an SKX. It is the new Seiko 5 Sports watch series. I own a few. Exact same case as an SKX007 case except the crown does not lock down and has drilled lugs. 4R36 upgrade from the 7S26.

Here's mine:
Screenshot_20200915-201058.png

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Shocking foreplay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a tag on it indicating it’s a SRPD27. It doesn’t look like the images of a SRPD27 when I google it.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
It has a tag on it indicating it’s a SRPD27. It doesn’t look like the images of a SRPD27 when I google it.
Because it is not that. It is an SRPD95 or such.
And it is the wrong hang tag because these Seiko 5 Divers are not branded as Prospex. It's a fugazzi attempt by a shyster seller on etsy to rope you in.

Look don't buy it from Etsy. Get it from Amazon or a decent watch seller. These things are available from all the department store web sites like Kohls, Macys, etc. Get 'em before they go belly up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would not be shocked.
I would have an expected movement, expected case watch with a non screw down down crown and no lume pip on the bezel for more than a base Seiko auto diver used to cost.

Which holds zero interest to me, disgusts me, and hints at all that is currently wrong with Seiko price points, marketing strategy, and dive models.

It is a huge step backwards in the decades of reputation and standing they had built.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I get the direction Seiko chose to upscale any of their true 150m+ dive watches and downgrade the entry level "diver look" line-up. These surely do not satisfy water sports or depths though I swim in them.

I agree Seiko abandoning our "old Seiko values" doesn't sit well with the likes of us on this forum.

But I won't let that color my likes or dislikes for what they are putting out now. These are actually nice watches and under $200 street or barely used.

I am not going to run away from their new offering to serve as a personal referendum on their corporate strategy.

I like 'em along side my vintages and considerable SKX collection anyway.

Guess just not for everyone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think their new 5KX line was exactly what they needed to do considering where the Prospex line has gone in price and build quality. The SKX was essentially replaced by the new SRP Turtles and the price point was lowered and they have better movements and so many choices and editions there is something for anyone's tastes. I hope that all of the hobby modders can use the 5KXs as base watches for frankens and homages, but I do not know if they are dimensionally similar enough to use the plethora of mod parts out there. The 7S26 movement is a workhorse and the Seiko 5 series has always had "diver" looking watches that were not ISO Divers. I think they are a great fashion watch with an enormous catalog of variations. To the OP, adding a Prospex hang tag to a 5KX watch reeks of dishonesty so if not a "fake" I would call it a "fraud" at minimum.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
..I do not know if they are dimensionally similar enough to use the plethora of mod parts out there..
Yes I can confirm, with the exception of the drilled lug holes (nice!) and the use of a non-screwdown crown tube, they are identical cases to the SKX007 and all its variants (SKX009, SKX011, SKX173, etc).You can pop in a 7S26 or 7S36 as well as the 4R36 it was designed for and the stem and crown is backwards compatible if you choose to use a 7SX6 movement.

..To the OP, adding a Prospex hang tag to a 5KX watch reeks of dishonesty so if not a "fake" I would call it a "fraud" at minimum.
Amen to that !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I passed on that watch and instead purchased a SRPD79.
I just got it today. But so far I’m really liking it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I honestly don’t know if the strap is different. This is the first watch I’ve gotten with a nato strap. There are no markings on the strap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts