The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old friend of mine asked me to take a look at an Omega Chronostop with an 865 movement as the minute hand had become loose (see picture).

He had inherited it from his father who back in the 60s was Queen’s physician for a while so maybe he used the Chronostop mechanism to take the Queen’s pulse.
I am reasonably competent at stripping down Seiko movements so I said I would have a look. Removing the movement from the case was fairly straightforward once I had discovered the little screw (circled at 8 o’clock in the second picture) which is unscrewed to release the crown. Removing the hands and then replacing them correctly was also not a problem. However, while handling the movement the crown release screw fell out and now will not catch on its threads. So is there something I should be doing to allow me to re-insert this crown release screw?

Thanks
Chris

·
Special Member
3,551 Posts
oops...
More knowledgeable members will be here shortly, I'm sure, but I think you'll have to remove the dial to be able to get the screw back in. It's not supposed to be unscrewed all the way but just enough to release the stem. I don't know the exact words but the lever that gets operated with the stem has to be positioned or held to enable you to insert the screw in the threads in the lever.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh that's a beautiful white dial :) lucky guy.

As said, that screw is only meant to be undone a few turns. Sorry but the dial has to come off as the part it threads into is small and now loose under the dial. Can you see it? There is a gap under that dial - I hope the part hasn't dropped off onto your floor!!

I made the same mistake twice now, last time just a few days ago.

Does your lucky friend have the original shark mesh bracelet or the leather rally deployment strap??

·
Registered
912 Posts
Here is a picture of my spare 865 movement. It's a bit rusty.

This is exactly what you would see with the dial removed. Hopefully less rust in yours.

The setting lever is thin with just a few threads for the screw, pointed to in the picture. So you see the screw should be undone just a few turns and then pressed, which is what releases the setting lever from the stem.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Thickman
Thanks for the advice and for taking the trouble to provide a picture. You were right, when I removed the dial the setting lever was missing. Thanks to your picture I was able to recognise it lying in the box that I used to hold the other parts of this watch thus avoiding an embarrassing disaster.
Getting the screw into the setting lever was not easy but I eventually managed it by securing the lever with a wadge of Rodico which allowed me to apply just enough pressure on the screw for the threads to engage.
My mate only had the watch head - no strap or bracelet. However, I found a mesh strap from the time of the watch which looks to be quite similar to one used by Omega for this watch. I hope he likes it.
Thanks again.
Chris

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice work on the watch man, right back from the brink of disaster!

Thickman prefers if we call him Tom, I made that mistake once too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nah I don't mind. stupid name, but I'm used to it. I'll probably change my account name if I'm allowed. Soon.

My mum told me only a few weeks back that she just realised T.Hickman was a bit like thickman. Cheers mum, 34 years too late.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tom
I thought "thickman" was a bit o a strange moniker but could not find another name for you.
Glad your Mum realised (after 34 years). Maybe it was her sense of humour. I once knew a Teresa Green, and I have just heard that a friends grandson has been been named Logan Joshua (I bet his nickname will be Curry).
Thanks again.
Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.