The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a few of you please chime in and tell me what your interpretation is of RARE? (Other then steaks, burgers etc :D)
I am often seeing as of late quite a few watches being offered for sale as RARE.
I personally but thats just me, dont really see it and think SCARCE may be more of the appropriate wording.
Thoughts/comments?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Will a few of you please chime in and tell me what your interpretation is of RARE? (Other then steaks, burgers etc :D)
I am often seeing as of late quite a few watches being offered for sale as RARE.
I personally but thats just me, dont really see it and think SCARCE may be more of the appropriate wording.
Thoughts/comments?
Everythings rare when someone is trying to sell it. I'm in the clock game and get fed up seeing clocks listed as rare when they are not, or even scarce... mainly they are crap thrown together out of old bits n bobs or clocks made in india within the past week but while they are for sale they are rare :) What's rare is 'the truth'....

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
well too many say rare just to sell their product...i think with most of what we see..it is not too rare..always exceptions...scarce is a much better word like limited production

·
Registered
473 Posts
Nothing is rare if you have enough money :)

Very true indeed. Agree with the comments here. When I first started buying watches, they are all rare, then you realise it's just a ploy. If it was that rare, I'd think twice of listing it on eBay or Gumtree.

Regards
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The word "Rare" should be non acceptable when it comes to selling but scarce is OK JMO
Granted....... there are probably watches that are indeed rare but they are FAR and FEW.
I would venture to say that over 98 % of the watches listed on the Sales Forum are not rare indeed! HTF would also be a good example thats more then fine to use!
A perfect example of this being my Seaspider! Try to find one..... they are SCARCE and HTF but not rare!

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
absolutely!

:signlol:
Rare means, as in: there on not many quality examples of this around, not many of these were made and they were highly esteemed, basic stuff like that. A rare SEIKO-Bell-matic? I'd nominate

f-in sexy (the watch not the hairy arm)...

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love when a watch is listed as "rare" by a seller, then you scroll down and he/she has 2 or 3 more EXACTLY like it, also listed as "rare". Kind of defies logic, doesn't it?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
i think most will say rare because they prey on people's trusting nature...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Thats Why ........

That's why when we are told to do ........" Our Homework",
that's what should be done. Homework pays off, and for us
in this, why would we just go for it, and end up going
as they say here............ " South ", in our doing.
Its been said countless times on this Forum, and still
many neglect doing it.

" Ask the Moderators about how many times they have said it ".

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Oxford Dictionary definition....

'not found in large numbers and so of interest or value'

(Note: 'of interest OR value', not 'and')

'Scarce' has similar meaning, but doesn't necessarily have the positive attributes of being interesting or of value that is associated with 'rare'.

So to describe a watch as rare would mean it occurs only in small numbers and is of interest, or it may be of value. Of course it may be of interest and value. Generally we should ignore sellers' use of the word rare as we know it is mis-used all the time simply to try and attract and sometimes to mislead buyers.

Sometimes a seller rightly describe a piece as rare, but the use of that description should be justified. A good example might be this Citizen Cosmotron X8 Chronometer:

Why 'rare'?: it was the world's first watch with a titanium case, it was one of only three Cosmotron models tuned to chronometer standard, and less than 2000 were made in 1970.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 22 Posts