The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wonder when I see watches on a sales forum described as "rare" when they were produced in the millions for several years leading up to about a year ago. I mean...watches I see truck drivers wearing here in HK, or old men...or teenagers. ???

I guess maybe rare depends on where you are?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Indeed it does. There was a discussion about this recently. Rare is relative, but thanks to that great equalizer that is the internet (and especially eBay and Yahoo Japan), relative rarity is not so major any more. at least as it applies to vintage seikos rare models are extremely few and far between. IMHO much rarer are individual specific parts for specific cases or movements. For example, OEM pointer rings for 6138-7000 slide rule or intact day wheel quick set gears for 5106 calibers. Specific vintage stelux bracelets in good condition (read not stretched to hell) can also be hell to find.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I hear you Jake. There was a recent TF post of a steel sammy that called it "rare". Having owned three, and never looked for one more than a week or two, I had to laugh......

paul

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha...That's actually what got me writin'...I saw two of those steel Samurais just today on people (old man driving furniture truck...teen coming home from school) while walking home from the train station. Made me laugh.

water70proof said:
I hear you Jake. There was a recent TF post of a steel sammy that called it "rare". Having owned three, and never looked for one more than a week or two, I had to laugh......

paul

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
So I admit it, sometimes I use the word rare, but normally when it refers to some aspect of a watch rather than necessarily the watch itself. Phrases such as, 'rare to find in this condition'. At the end of the day though, it is all very subjective.

I wont buy anything unless it is described as "Mega Rare", or my own personal favorite seen a lot on eBay, "Ultra Rare" :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
^-^ So what Seiko model would we all consider "Rare"?? Let me just start with a few that I would classified as rare. Mostly diver models. It has to be all original and conditions is a factor too for me.

6217-8000

6215-7000
6159-7000
6159-7001
6159-7010

6306-7001 Scubapro 450
Seiko Scubapro 300m Tuna Quartz

Seiko 6M26 Auto Calendar Quartz

These are the models I can think of.

Cheers,
Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...I found some of those old Stelux in a watchmaker's shop on Hoi Fung this past winter...THAT is rare...sitting there since 1968 or so.

Isthmus said:
Indeed it does. There was a discussion about this recently. Rare is relative, but thanks to that great equalizer that is the internet (and especially eBay and Yahoo Japan), relative rarity is not so major any more. at least as it applies to vintage seikos rare models are extremely few and far between. IMHO much rarer are individual specific parts for specific cases or movements. For example, OEM pointer rings for 6138-7000 slide rule or intact day wheel quick set gears for 5106 calibers. Specific vintage stelux bracelets in good condition (read not stretched to hell) can also be hell to find.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Indeed. The most I've ever said in a sales ad is "this model is getting hard/er to find"...and I make this claim ONLY after researching the begeezus out of it. Since my pieces are of the affordable variety (hard to find or not) a small bit of research on the prospective buyers part can easily confirm my claim.

Rare can really mean rare (i.e., a truly desirable piece, nigh impossible to find in such and such condition), or it can simply be a stand-in for "pay me more money" or "I'm quite certain you are moron".

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There's about a hundred "rare" 6309-7040s on the bay right now. And they ARE rare. I couldn't find a single one at Walmart so they must be. :D

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Jeeeeze some of us do behave as though we have our heads stuck up were the sun dosent shine!!!!

Personally i see nothing wrong with a seller saying his item is rare, we are big boys and girls (i hope) and can decide ourselves if rare or not, if totally not rare we can have a snigger to ourselves or if it is rare or rare to you then great and thanks that the seller brought it to our attention.

I am sure some guys feel and would say a 6105-811X is rare when others would say i have 20 or 30 etc.

The 6105-8000 original crown could be considered rare especially if you are searching the world for one and can't find one but again another collector might have a box full.

Why can't or don't we just take such minor details as "rare" or "NOS" in our stride in a post ?

We can get hung up of such trivia at times !! ???

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you're right Jake, Geography has a lot to do with it.

My 6139-8050 illustrates the point quite well, I believe they are a JDM model, therefore they're unlikely to be rare in Japan, but they are hard to find elsewhere. And lets also bear in mind that because a watch is rare, it doesn't necessarily equate to it being valuable. My 8050 is probably worth far less than the sought after (but not rare) 6139 models.

I'm sure I cleaned it before I took that pic :-[

·
Registered
29,146 Posts
red2ndhand said:
^-^ So what Seiko model would we all consider "Rare"?? Let me just start with a few that I would classified as rare. Mostly diver models. It has to be all original and conditions is a factor too for me.

6217-8000

6215-7000
6159-7000
6159-7001
6159-7010

6306-7001 Scubapro 450
Seiko Scubapro 300m Tuna Quartz

Seiko 6M26 Auto Calendar Quartz

These are the models I can think of.

Cheers,
Jeremiah
See you included the "Seiko 6M26 Auto Calendar Quartz". Being that's been discontinued since 1999, it might come closer to "rare", though some still pop up as NOS. Probably scarcity of the model might be due to owners just keeping them. The few owners that I'm aware have sold theirs have all expressed regrets at having done so. I for one don't intend to join their ranks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts