The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Seiko 6309-8960 at a local Mom 'n Pop store. If you google search "Seiko 6309-8960," you will find an auction with similar watch pics. I have 3 questions -

1. They are asking $75 for the watch ... is that a fair price. I would rate the watch at 85%.

2. Anyone know if this watch came on a bracelet or a strap.

3. The movement is a 6309 ... correct? Anything I should know about the movement?

Thanks! The cool part is that when I did a serial search on it ... it was made in my birth month and birth year. I might just pick it up for that alone. The watch dates to 1976.

Similar ebay Pic:

·
Registered
964 Posts
1. I wouldn't pay as much (max. $50), but it's not a rip-off
2. It's very likely that it came with a bracelet
3. It's the same movement like in one of the famous vintage divers - a true working horse.

Cheers,

Axel

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Don't know about that model specifically, but cases like that one were offered with bracelets as well as straps. IMHO at $75 in this kind of condition (noting the two large gouges on the upper lugs) the watch is not worth the price. In excellent condition maybe, BUt IMHO it is still a bit above market as I see it you probably don't want to pay more than $50 for it and if you can try to get it for $35. That is closer to market and gives you a small cushion to spend on maintenance or repairs. At $75, if you had to put any money into it, you would never recover it on the value of the watch. Sadly this is not one of those pieces that collectors generally pursue so there is little built in value from a pure dollar's and sense POV.

As I see it, the most valuable part of this watch is probably the movement, and then it is to pull it and fit it into on of the sought after 6309 models.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your honest advice. The watch I'm looking at is actually a different one than pictured. I'll take another look at it tomorrow and see what I think. It's currently on a stretch "Expansion" band. Not sure if that is original or not. It may be a fun watch for me to learn some watch building, etc. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
If you want something to practice on, save your cash. go on ebay and buy a box lot of watches. They can be had for under $40 all day long. Use all those old junkers to practice on without being afraid to mess them up.

another tip someone once told me (and I don't know that I agree) was that for movement learning, it is far easier and cheaper to source old ladies watches. If you can learn to service one of those small calibers, graduating to the larger ones used in mens watches should prove easier. I don't know if I agree with that advice, but the ladies watches are definitely easy to find and they are very cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts