The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Team,

I am between shocked and happy, you know that I have bought a week ago in Germany my first Capt. Willard 6105. Today my loupe arrieved and I was watching the movement in detail and then the shock, it is a 6117B movement ! Not the expected 6105. There is clearly written 6117B!

The 6117B is the same like the 6105 with the hacking second plus the GMT Function. So in other words my Capt. Willard must have been upgraded.

It is like a Sherlock Holmes Game, I was so happy to find a "Salt Water" :rolleyes: Green Aged Dial :) for years and then this, but I believe that the Watch service changed as well the movement when the watch got his service hands.

Well, I am positive thinking guy and now I would love to get watchmaking help, so a, is it possible to install a GMT hand on it and be should we do this, to install a 24Hours Bezel and a GMT Hand. A modded Capt. Willard?

Please PM me if you are a professional watch guy who would love to make Mr. SolidSmokeRockabilly happy for $ :) and some help on his watch.

Thanks a lot, Peter

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Hi Peter,
Welcome to our forum! First, no need to shout (please be mindful of using all caps in your subject line, it isn't fair to the rest of us who don't).
Second, I don't think you have a complete 6117 movement, likely just the auto bridge (which contains the caliber reference engraving) from a 6117- they are interchangeable between the two calibers. The 6117 has an extra wheel for the 24 hour hand to sit upon, which necessitates a larger hole in the center of the dial. Hand clearance is also an issue with the dial when adding the GMT hand, but members have done a version of this in the past. Trying searching GMT mod or conversion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Peter,
Welcome to our forum! First, no need to shout (please be mindful of using all caps in your subject line, it isn't fair to the rest of us who don't).
Second, I don't think you have a complete 6117 movement, likely just the auto bridge (which contains the caliber reference engraving) from a 6117- they are interchangeable between the two calibers. The 6117 has an extra wheel for the 24 hour hand to sit upon, which necessitates a larger hole in the center of the dial. Hand clearance is also an issue with the dial when adding the GMT hand, but members have done a version of this in the past. Trying searching GMT mod or conversion.
Hi,
Thank you very much for your welcome greets, support and advise. I have changed the Subject line, and once again thank you very much for your support. I have here a couple of movement pictures from my watch.

Best regards, Peter

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
Well, I see another issue- it appears as though you have a balance assembly and bridge from a 6309- the 6105 (and 6117) have a more traditional stud attachment for the hairspring terminus. So you've got a somewhat put-together specimen, possibly from 3 different caliber donors. It won't be cheap to right the movement back to all 6105 parts, (I'm thinking of the winding bridge in particular), so if it is running OK for you, may as well leave well enough alone. I would replace the spring bars with one of the correct size and fit, though, so that the case holes are not unduly worn over time.
May I ask, what country did you source this example from?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I see another issue- it appears as though you have a balance assembly and bridge from a 6309- the 6105 (and 6117) have a more traditional stud attachment for the hairspring terminus. So you've got a somewhat put-together specimen, possibly from 3 different caliber donors. It won't be cheap to right the movement back to all 6105 parts, (I'm thinking of the winding bridge in particular), so if it is running OK for you, may as well leave well enough alone. I would replace the spring bars with one of the correct size and fit, though, so that the case holes are not unduly worn over time.
May I ask, what country did you source this example from?
Hi, thank you very much for your detail feedback. The Watch is coming from Germany, Hamburg and was for 12 years in one hand. The last owner told me that he bought the watch as it is today, 12 years ago from a Watchmaker from a Hamburg Watch Store. I believe that the watch was then assembled 12 years ago with the movement parts. I have also checked the service hands, they are Tritium based.

The watch is running strong but my wish is to rebuild the watch with AM Hands, painted to match the green aged lume way and I also wish to have a 100% 6105 installed.

Best regards,
Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts