The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to Bells.

I managed to get 4 and they all have problems except one.

Have broken pivots on 2 escape wheel pivots and another on a pallet fork.

Is there an inherent problem with these or am I just unlucky?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Could be a bit unlucky but that said the Bell-Matics I have collected and rebuilt all seem to have one or more problems. One common issue is the dial feet sheer off very easily.

I think you would have to reach out to someone like Adrian at Vintage Time Australia who sees alot of these to get an accurate idea of the common problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably unlucky. Was hoping to make 2 good ones and maybe a third.

Was a bit surprised as these movements are built like tanks.

Never worked on these, but it makes the 6138 look like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I've had a few of these and only one has ever run well when I got it (much lower strike rate than any other movements I've had). I think it's because they're complicated (fewer watchmakers around who work on them) and more expensive to service. Thus they're less likely to have been serviced during the past 45-50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think it depends on which end of the market you are buying. Get four cheap ones and you are likely to see a lot of broken escape wheels and pallet forks.

The watch is very reliable but no watch can withstand over enthusiastic owners doing their own repairs. The main bridge is big has a lot of pivots that need to align all at once. If the watch has only ever been looked at by a jeweler, then there is no problems. However, in my experience its very common to see damage where pivots have been forced into bushes due to people not having the skill to properly assemble the movement. Not really the watches fault, just that it attracts people who are likely to cause damage.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I think in my case they were neglected and well dirty. I have one running so that's a start.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I think it depends on which end of the market you are buying. Get four cheap ones and you are likely to see a lot of broken escape wheels and pallet forks.

The watch is very reliable but no watch can withstand over enthusiastic owners doing their own repairs. The main bridge is big has a lot of pivots that need to align all at once. If the watch has only ever been looked at by a jeweler, then there is no problems. However, in my experience its very common to see damage where pivots have been forced into bushes due to people not having the skill to properly assemble the movement. Not really the watches fault, just that it attracts people who are likely to cause damage.

Jewelers arn't watchmakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts