The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks!

I have a question for you guys that own the great SEIKO Arnie diver's.

Last year I managed to buy 2 of these. Then, slowly, i started to reunite all the necessary parts to send them both for a full SPA treatment, which included complete gaskets replacement, even the pushers.

Fast forward yesterday, finally, my 2 grails were done servicing. So off i went to go get them at lunch time, since my watchmaker is nearby.

Now the guy is a wizard in this art. And he knows his seikos, also.

Only one thing intrigued me, upon close inspection of the watches earlier this morning, when i had ample time.... the location of the crown gasket.

I don't remember checking the crowns prior to send the arnies for servicing. Today, when i was checking the crown action, i found something really funny: the o-ring gasket for the crown was installed OUTSIDE of the crown tube. It was carefully seated AROUND the case tube where the crown screws down, much like the tunas 1000m crown gasket engineering.

Now this arnie crown is a miniature of the 6309-7040 crown. They are the same cosntruction, only the arnie is a smaller version in diameter.
To the best of my seiko knowledge, this type crown has its gasket installed INSIDE its own crown tube, hasn't it? It's the most difficult type of crown to get its gasket replaced, another reason why many collectors and watchmakers chose not to bother with replacing just the crown gasket in this type of crown model, but the complete crown altogether, right?

So the o-ring for the crown is seated on the base of the case tube where the crown is gonna get screwed down. I can sense that there is no way of screwing it down snugged to the metal case itself due to the gasket being in the way.

So, after this little novel that i wrote, my one million dollar question is: is that crown gasket replacement right? Before i go ask my watchmaker about this and not make a fool of myself - in case he did everything right - I wanted to ask my arnie owner bros around here.

Shannon, Galpo, Rob, Neilo, Barry.......everyone that owns an Arnie and is acquainted with its insides and tech specs: shed some light here, please. ^-^

Thank you in advance, gentlemen!
Regards,
CHRIS

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have an Arnie since new, that is 1988, and I've serviced it every 3 years since I've bought it,
at Seiko's official service. Never have I seen the asket seat outside the crown.
It's just like a 6309 crown, I'm saying that after looking once at a H558 crown out of a watch,
and saw the gasket inside.

JMHO,
Galpo

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Chris my friend, ??? its supposed to be inside and not outside of the crown,checked mine and its definately on the inside.
Dont wear that even in the shower yet until its sorted.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gents! Really appreciated.

But how do you replace such a tiny gasket in that crown? I mean, how do you insert that o-ring through the crown tube in order to reach its right place to be seated? Maybe my watchguy wasn't able to do it, hence he did this case tube "thing" with the gasket? ???

·
Registered
702 Posts
S**t, I wrote all up and i was logged out... so again -

The H558 crown was not designed to be serviced (Meaning wasn't designed to allow gasket replacement)
but was designed to be replaced entirely, the whole unit.
But many watchmakers and collectors are replacing the gaskets with success so it's possible.
I've done it many times with a 6309 crown, so I believe an H558 is just the same, regarding the effort of gasket replacing.

How?
Remove stem from crown (may need some 5 sec heating the head of the crown >
With a pair of tweezers or a regular tailor's pin, "stab" the old gasket and take it out >
Grease the new gasket with silicon >
Push the new gasket with a thin round-headed tool (that won't hurt the gasket) all inside the crown >
Pull/push the gasket gently in/out using a regular tailor's pin head (not the pointy side) until it seats inside its groove
(That's the most difficult stage...) >
assemble the stem >
Cry with joy... ;D

I hope that helps...
Galpo

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was searching for info on the H558 and H601 Arnies regarding waterproofness, and this thread seemed like a good place to post a question.

Once the gaskets are replaced on these models, especially the pusher gaskets, are they reliably water resistant? I was thinking of maybe picking one up, but it would be a daily-wearer and it would definitely see water. Probably a swimming pool on occasion, and certainly watering the lawn or washing the car. I don't scuba dive, so it won't see 150 meters of depth. Do you guys who own them go swimming with them, or are they more of a dry land model due to their age?

Thanks,

andy b.

·
Registered
645 Posts
IIRC the o-ring was inside the tube behind a plastic pusher. I have to look at the inside of the crown to see if there is a gasket there also- I think there is. I have a new crown somewhere Ill dig it up and look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts