The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Bulova is owned by Citizen will the watches all qualify for this forum. if not its rather complicated about who made what where and with who's movement so I am suggestion for simplicity it be here but then I am only one voice.:smiley_confused1:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm pretty sure there has been Bulova discussions here before, much like there has been discussion about Yema when it was owned by Seiko

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Do the new Bulovas use Citizen movements?

I sold my 245 gram Precisionist 98B143 because it was just too heavy and massive. I miss watching the red second hand go 'round the dial.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just because Bulova is owned by a Japanese entity, does not make it a Japanese watch IMO. There is a Non Japanese board on this forum, why not post there?

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
BTW, I have a gorgeous 1940's Bulova rectangular cased small seconds hand-winder that epitomized US Watch Glory at the time. That does make a sudden "etch-a-sketch' mentality to considering it a Japanese brand just because Citizen bought them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd say that's your prerogative.

Perhaps you can enlighten me, as to which parts, or processes in the creation of a Bulova, are actually Japanese.
I was just being snarky to point out the worldwide nature of the biz. I wouldn't think that this would be a good place to discuss old Bulovas, but perhaps new ones have some Japanese input and would be appropriate to discuss here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My view it this...If a US based company bought Seiko, and changed absolutely nothing, would they now be considered US made watches? I have no idea whether or not Citizen changed anything @ Bulova, but I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it gets a bit confusing as to who made what and with whos movement and where as I mentioned. In so far as I know the new Bulova's are using miyota quartz and automatic movements and the company ownership is now Japanese. For simplicity would it not be easiest to keep them here now otherwise they will be here there and who knows where else and when that happens interesting stuff gets lost

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
A little bit of Googling is all it takes...............

Bulova is an American company founded by Joseph Bulova in New York City in 1875. Most watches are currently manufactured in Woodside, Queens, New York. However, the European collection, including Accutron watches, are made in Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulova

Bulova uses Ronda 775 movements and also Miyota movements.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
To try and make things easy, the forum entitled "Japanese Watch Forum" is for watches which were manufactured by a Japanese company (a company headquartered in Japan). Where that Japanese company's factories are located does not factor into it, which is analogous to how "Swiss Made" or "Made in Japan" is legally (and some might say, loosely) defined. As Citizen now owns Bulova, discussion of Bulova watches (of any age) are permitted. This is easier than having to determine when any particular Bulova was made, and under what ownership. We like easy :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Noah has nailed it. We cannot cover every possible combination of who owns what and what was made where and when, so for the sake of simplicity we take the pragmatic approach. If it's obvious that a particular watch was manufactured by a then-independent company outside Japan using non-Japanese components, then it can always be discussed in the Non-Japanese watch section.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
To try and make things easy, the forum entitled "Japanese Watch Forum" is for watches which were manufactured by a Japanese company (a company headquartered in Japan). Where that Japanese company's factories are located does not factor into it, which is analogous to how "Swiss Made" or "Made in Japan" is legally (and some might say, loosely) defined. As Citizen now owns Bulova, discussion of Bulova watches (of any age) are permitted. This is easier than having to determine when any particular Bulova was made, and under what ownership. We like easy :)
Hi Noah, I don't think "loosely defined" - in relation to Japanese watch makers who are members of the JCWA ( Japan Clock & Watch Association) is the case anymore.
Seiko are members of said association and they have to follow the rules as laid out by them.
There is a thread on RLT watch forum which gives the answer to this straight from the horse's mouth , here's an extract- "The Japanese law defines country of origin as the country where substantive change was performed. For watches, the substantive changes are defined as movement assembly.

The percentage of local material is not specified. This means the country of origin is the country where the movement was assembled. Therefore a watch with a movement assembled in Japan can be 'Made in Japan' in the viewpoint of the law.

However, to avoid misleading consumers, member companies of the JCWA use the phrase 'Made in Japan' only when movement assembly and complete watch assembly were performed in Japan."
So whilst the actual components may be produced in Seiko facilities worldwide, using Seiko machinery and QC, they will be put together in Japan.
Here's the link to the full post http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54816&view=findpost&p=567424

1 - 20 of 23 Posts