The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've been seeing a few 4205 ladies divers for sale from our favorite phillipine site. my question is this: are there any aftermarket parts for them? i am interested in modding a diver for a youngster and it would be nice to know if there are parts available for them. i don't remember seeing anything available.

actually, as an edit: i've seen them listed as ladies and gents watches. what designates if they're a ladies watch or a gent's watch - the 4205's i mean.

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well there are lots of parts available for these.....Chevere did one for his wife a while back...it was very nice when he was done...i got the boys/mens for my nephew but he wanted a new quartz watch so i sold it..there is a few different people working on them here...i am sure they will chime in too..if you do get one..they are quite reasonable...Ramon the watchcollector usually has many listed for just a few dollars...they are all ones that need work...the movements are not as robust as other seiko's but there is talk about making a different movement fit...God Bless John...
here is the link to that thread too

http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-...205-0140-restoration-project.html#post1263530

·
Special Member
4,547 Posts
There are two sizes in the 4205 diver watch, the smaller often suggested for ladies. Some colored dials for them are seen coming from Singapore, at least from what I remember searching the model. Parts for them are rare IMO so you would have to do much searching. The movements are small and some guys did not like working on them. The older Seiko kids/ladies diver style watches are out there but you need to persevere and know the models i.e. 2205 autos, 2625 quartz, 2A22 pro version of the ladies size watches....
If you cannot find the right size for the youngster, think about a G Shock model or even a Baby G!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i was afraid that it might require an inordinate amount of searching for parts. i'll add to transporter's thread and keep track of what he is doing.
the 4205 in the larger (men's) size - are any of the parts interchangeable with the SKX007's? i'm just not sure (yet) what is interchangeable (or a variant of) with what else. it's confusing to me.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
4205 movement parts are easy enough to get hold of, many 4206 and 4207 movement parts will fit, and a 4206/7 movement will swap over.
Case parts are a bit harder to get hold of but not impossible.
4205's are tiny movements which are very fiddly to work on. However they do have a couple of big attributes over other Seiko divers, in that they hand wind as well as being automatic, and they are unloved which makes them cheap.

Nothing will interchange with a SKX007, its a completely different animal.

"0ur favorite phillipine site" also does different colored dials and chapter rings for the 4205, i think he does AM crystals and crown/stems as well.

I have a 4205 0152 in my collection, its on an oyster bracelet and is about the same size as some of the later SKX mid size divers, it wears well and doesn't look silly on my 8" wrist

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[QUOTE 4205 movement parts are easy enough to get hold of, many 4206 and 4207 movement parts will fit, and a 4206/7 movement will swap over.
Case parts are a bit harder to get hold of but not impossible.
4205's are tiny movements which are very fiddly to work on. However they do have a couple of big attributes over other Seiko divers, in that they hand wind as well as being automatic, and they are unloved which makes them cheap.

i figured that they would be tiny. i didn't realize that they hand wind. that's pretty neat. the fact that they are unloved really helps out price wise. it's always the case. kind of like buying an AMC hornet....or pacer.

Nothing will interchange with a SKX007, its a completely different animal.

ok. that clears up a lot of questions for me.

"0ur favorite phillipine site" also does different colored dials and chapter rings for the 4205, i think he does AM crystals and crown/stems as well.

i've been looking to see if i can find any. i really haven't noticed any yet, but i'm not done scanning his site.

I have a 4205 0152 in my collection, its on an oyster bracelet and is about the same size as some of the later SKX mid size divers, it wears well and doesn't look silly on my 8" wrist

good to know. i have an 8" wrist also. not that i'm interested in a 4205 for me - well maybe. i'm also unfamiliar with the suffixes in the model numbers. in this case 0152. i've seen 015t, 015b. a real alphabet soup.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now, if the 015x model is larger, is it as large as, say, a 6309? i have nothing to compare it to. and what movement is in the 015x models? the same as the 014x but with a spacer ring?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Not sure about the numbers, but the way you can tell a Gents from a ladies is by the size of the indice @ 3 o'clock.
A ladies will have the indice about the same width as the date window, a gents will have the indice about twice the width of the date window.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
now, if the 015x model is larger, is it as large as, say, a 6309? i have nothing to compare it to. and what movement is in the 015x models? the same as the 014x but with a spacer ring?
No, nothing like a 6309, 4205's are a breed of their own. Youll need to do some research, but possibly 7s26 0030 or 50 dial/bezel inserts might fit.
The movements will all be either 4205 A or B, maybe 4206/7 if someones been there before.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The larger models are 37mm, the smaller are 33mm I think. Compared to 6309 which is 42mm. These are case sizes of course. The movement itself is tiny. The 37mm case has a huge spacer to hold the tiny movement in place. I pretty much learned to service a movement on these because they're cheap and plentiful. There are plenty of aftermarket hands, dials and bezel inserts out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
4205-014* is the small size. 33mm across is what they say
4205-015* is the medium size. 38mm across.

The -015* series is almost identical in size to my SNK-803. A little thicker. Dial, a little smaller.

The -014* series is truly a boy size or lady size. I find them too small to read easily.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4205-014* is the small size. 33mm across is what they say
4205-015* is the medium size. 38mm across.

The -015* series is almost identical in size to my SNK-803. A little thicker. Dial, a little smaller.

The -014* series is truly a boy size or lady size. I find them too small to read easily.

good info guys. thank you. i have seen AM dials and i'm assuming hands to go with these. i gotta believe that modding them is reasonably easy.
i figured that the 015 was the medium. funny how all of the photos make them look "regular" size. but, then again, there's nothing else in the picture to compare them to.

at 33mm on the 014, that movement has got to be tiny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts