The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Being a mechanical snob I know nothing about Quartz. That being said I am trying to buy a late 70's quartz diver (not Seiko....swiss) but the seller just informed me that it is running 10-15mins slow/24hr despite changing the battery. Short of a dud battery being installed, what would cause such a loss?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
It may be in need of servicing. Quartz watches act the same as mechanical. When the lube dries up the watch runs slow.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Is servicing one straight forward enough?
Although I haven't serviced one yet I'd say it would be similar to servicing a mechanical with fewer parts.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Although I haven't serviced one yet I'd say it would be similar to servicing a mechanical with fewer parts.
But there's also a very strongly magnetic rotor to deal with, which likes to attract other ferrous objects and jump about like an acid fueled flea.
The particular flea I had was renamed, several times - mostly using Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian words, rhyming with lucker, rowlocks and aunt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Late 70s Swiss will be a nice quality movement (certainly by today's quartz standard) and should be straightforward to service, magnetic fleas notwithstanding :)

The real killer with quartz tends to be battery leakage, which eats bits and kills circuit blocks. Seeing as it's running at all, neither of those have happened.

For servicing, they're far easier than mechanical except that the parts tend to be smaller and that damned rotor. Titanium or fully non-magnetic steel tweezers are your friend where that's concerned.

Wear is generally negligible and unless something's actually broken you won't need parts - just cleaning and oiling. Oiling should be minimal because too much can eaisly stop a quartz as it adds drag, especially if there's enough to get drawn out of the pivots onto the wheels themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts