The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SCWF,
A quick question; what lubricants do you use on quartz movements? (Seiko 7548, etc). I've rebuilt a handful of C300s and I've got one that was literally soaked in WD40 that needs servicing (the previous owner sprayed the whole watch "liberally" with it to free up a stuck pusher which was actually bent...). In addition, the donor Seiko 5M23 I bought for my Kinetic Tuna needs a strip down and rebuild as it has a lot of debris inside. Since I'm new to servicing movements, I don't have any oils with me so which oils should I buy?
Thanks in advance!
Jay

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies! @Don; I've come across Anchor brand stuff before, how have the results been?
@bk_lake; thanks for that snippet. Citizen has codes in their service documents for the C300 too (A-lube, B-lube, V-lube and CH-1 oil). Any chance these are the same?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have no clue what the Citizen oil equivalents are. I seem to remember a chart somewhere that had viscosity of the various oils and there were a few Citizen oils included. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Thanks for the prompt replies! @Don; I've come across Anchor brand stuff before, how have the results been?
@bk_lake; thanks for that snippet. Citizen has codes in their service documents for the C300 too (A-lube, B-lube, V-lube and CH-1 oil). Any chance these are the same?
I have used it on 9 7548's and 4 or 5 7546's and all are still running within spec.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Because they have jewels, and Seiko say you should lubricate specific positions. Read the tech pdfs. They don't recommend using snake-oil though.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I said jewels and specific positions, if you read my post.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Then I apologise for my remark 😃

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Humour, Har Har. 😂 RIP Mork.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Specifically regarding the 75xx series Seiko quartz and others from that era just follow what’s called our in the tech guide, or the equivalent as has been mentioned already. On the several I’ve serviced I switch between moebius 9000 quartz oil and 9010.

The 7548, etc is basically identical to a 6309 on the dial side, and is addressed in the same way regarding lubrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
9000 and 9010 here aswell., but I tend to use 9104 on the centre wheel and third wheel on the 754X. 7T movements I tend to use a very tiny amount of 9000. H558 etc. I use the same sort of combination as 754X. 7A2/3/4 I use 9000 and 9010 on the non jewelled pivots but sometimes 9104 on these. For the setting mech 9504 or 8217. One the worst movements to work on is the 8F35 and I think I used 9000 solely for these, bit like the 7T movement.

I have seen over oiling and quite thick oils used and so in that sense I'd side with no oil than some of the quantities I've seen that have flowed down to the step rotor gears and train wheel teeth at times.

Anchor oil doesn't get very favorable reviews from people with experience with it, so I'd spend a bit more on Moebius as it really isn't that expensive considering how far it goes.

Lube war commenced.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ahhh those online horror stories.

Four years ago I invested in a fairly new car. It had been fitted with new front tyres which I had never heard of, albeit the tread looked ok to me. I Googled them to find one or two ‘horror stories’ which initially concerned me. So I decided to leave them on but see how they perform. Well, After 20k miles they have been superb in all weather conditions.

So we must take these few reports with a pinch of salt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts