The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a 6138-0030 Kakume where the guy who serviced my watch decided to repaint my second sweep hand without permission :eek:

Anyhow, I hear that putting an aftermarket one on is a terrible idea bc it doesn’t fit properly, but I’ve also heard that once you pull a Chrono hand off you need to get a NOS one be they are “mated” to the post at production. Is this true or can I find a POS Kakume, pull the second sweep off that and slap it on my exisiting 6138-0030?

All the articles I searched for didn’t seem to cover this so I’d appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
The pinion for the hand is squared off at the tip and will only fit back on in the same position because it does 'mate' with it, but it can be put back on. If you need to change the position, like it's always at 1 on the return, you would need to rework the hand hole round again so it will mate in the new position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,711 Posts
You'll need a cutting broach to clean up the pinion hole from it's previous set position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, in short I could take a sweep hand from another 6138-0030, clean up the post and the receiving end and it should fit? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
So, in short I could take a sweep hand from another 6138-0030, clean up the post and the receiving end and it should fit? Thank you.
I wouldn't touch the post, but a used hand will still need the hole worked so it will seat on the pin in the correct 12 o clock position and 'mate' with the pin.

Page 3 for the hand installation.
CLICK HERE: Seiko 6138 Tech Guide

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
What about repainting the hand you have?

That would seem easiest :)

It's very hard to get a reamer to ream the hand :(
AM hands have a round hole which should fit fine in any angle :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts