The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a post where someone observed that their toothbrush charged up easily on their Qi Wireless charger. Apparently this is an induction charger for phones with wireless charging?

Anyone tried it yet? Supposedly the person who tried it on their toothbrush noticed the toothbrush seemed warm after it had charged a while, so I have some reservations on whether it would be safe for Seiko Kinetics. Maybe it's stronger/faster/different for phones than toothbrushes and Seiko's? Hate to fry a capacitor.....

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the official Seiko charger ($249 if you can find it) Output: 9V 0.5A. The Qi wireless chargers appear to Output 5V 700mA. I snagged one of EBay for $5.00 delivered, will give it a try and let you all know. There were other versions that were 1Amp, but I passed on those because of the fear of "cooking" the watch.

While the toothbrush thing works (well documented) there are a ton of these Qi chargers available now, I figured a test of a more widely available (and frankly better looking) solution is worth the $5 experiment.

·
Special Member
1,836 Posts
Good luck with the Qi charger, I look forward to seeing your results.

You may have a bit of testing to determine the correct placement of the movement to get the most efficient charge.

Once you do find the spot for one movement type the image on the top of my YT02A charger should make to simple to figure out other movements.

If the Qi charger works it will make it will be a readily available alternative for people and be easier to work with instead of one designed for a toothbrush.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck with the Qi charger, I look forward to seeing your results.

You may have a bit of testing to determine the correct placement of the movement to get the most efficient charge.

Once you do find the spot for one movement type the image on the top of my YT02A charger should make to simple to figure out other movements.

If the Qi charger works it will make it will be a readily available alternative for people and be easier to work with instead of one designed for a toothbrush.
Very interesting. Do the watches sit face down in those crown positions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.