The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first caught this space-watch bug reading about the Speedmaster and have taken myself down that path some distance already. I have a nice example that needs a couple of things done to be almost perfect, but this is not the place for that.

I'm now on the trail of the Pogue and have been learning a ton over the past couple months. A lot from this forum and other sources. I've learned enough to become tedious (or at least to get my wife's eyes to quickly glaze over), but what better place to be that way than among a bunch of folk who are further down that path than I am already?

When I eventually purchase (or assemble) my example, I want it to be as exact in every detail as much as possible. So I'm taking my time researching first.

I have a couple questions. I think they are a little different than much of what's here because they are sparked by what I've learned here but I haven't yet found the answers here.

First - Dial type vs. case model. We've all seen the auction photo of Pogue's watch and know it has a 6009T resist dial (two line) and an English/Spanish day ring. But nowhere do I find a definitive ID on the case model. the 6139-6002 seemed to get a lot of credit for being "the one" but what I've learned here says it almost certainly isn't. My poking around shows the -6002 to virtually always have the 6030T dial (three line). I think the -6002 just happens to be a common model that someone locked onto first.

I fully understand it seems possible, if you look long enough, to find just about any case/dial/inner ring combination. But it seems that the 6009T with Espanol is more or less limited to the 6139-6005 or -6009 case models. It also seems the -6005 or -6009 also both came with Spanish option on the day ring.

My question - Is it in any way possible to distinguish a -6005 from a -6009 by viewing the dial side, such as the Pogue auction photo? At this point I think the answer is "no" and it's a 50/50 tossup among the experts as to which it was. Or maybe slightly in favor of the -6009 since that is usually called the "North American" model and Pogue bought his in Texas.

The second question is what is the right bracelet? The auction photo and the photo in David Bruno's writeup show the "president" type bracelet. But a number of photos from the mission, mission training, and a family shot from that time show clearly, to my view, the H-link type bracelet. I've seen a few passing references to the president type in my research, but apparently because that's what it had on it when Commander Pogue donated it. The letter that went with the auction contains the comment that he had had it "rebuilt" twice which could account for a bracelet change, the white-looking inner chapter ring (maybe) and the funky hand on the sub-dial. If the original H-type is kind of flimsy as I've read here and he is out building houses and repairing car engines with it, no surprise if it gave out and needed replacing.

Unless I see some other compelling information, I believe the answer is the H-link.

If you'd like me to post any of the photos I've mentioned here let me know, I have them archived in my research folder and can put them up with little trouble.

I've had a great time browsing these forums and learning stuff so thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
From what I have picked up on the web (so may not be correct) Pogue's watch was a 6139-6005 and the cases are the same the last number refers to the regional code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've been scouring this forum and a few others looking for discussion on whether the 6005 or 6009 is more likely to be the correct one - but have come up dry. Plenty of references to the preference for the 6005 but no indication of why that is chosen over the 6009. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

p.s. OK - is this it? I've found comments that the 6009 with resist dial only came in the notched case. If so, that would explain.

It would suggest that 6009's were not made for some period of time - from the time after they stopped making notched cased to the time after they stopped putting resist on the dial. That would be like a couple years of so they didn't make 6009's, wouldn't it? Or did they stop making them altogether after that and did only 6005's (for N. Am.)? In that case the answer to why it's a 6005 is "They didn't make 6009's after 1970 when they stopped making the notched case." Is that it?

I checked ebay for 6009's and found 8 of them in completed listings. Every single one was a notched case from 1969-1970.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
A little information regarding case differences.

The notched case I thought was from early production and has the proof dial and caseback. I do not know if resist dials made it into notched cases.

If you put the notched and un-notched cases side by side you will see the notched case is significantly shallower, the notch being an effect of the case top being machined off more.

I would have thought others might help out by now, I appear to be the only expert, this is not true I am only a cat doing my best:93:

If you search this site I am sure you will find much debate about the true pogue that will help you. You should be looking for a 6139-6005 with a resist gold dial, yellow indicator ring and resist caseback. I have not a clue what dial codes are correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been searching the site for some time now and yes, there has been a bit of debate. The two questions I ended up with were the ones I didn't see really resolved (at the time I posed them at least).

My son saw your cat on my screen and asked if it was his uncle's - my brother used to have a near twin of that tabby. I also have a cat or two who will simply park it wherever I'm working. Looks like you may have him/her trained to that pad. But then again, under that warm desk light he may think he has you trained.

The dial codes are easy. There is a widely-circulated photo of the face of Pogue's watch from the auction. 6139-6009T Two line yellow resist dial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 6002 is perfectly valid, not a mod in and of itself. The 6002's (as I understand) were sold in Asia outside of Japan and a ton of them seem to have come home with servicemen from Korea, Vietnam, etc.

The 6005's were intended for the North American market but are mechanically and cosmetically identical except for the number stamped on the back cover and some minor difference in the face markings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts