The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello folks, I placed a paltry bid on a particular Seiko period piece, and plucked the prize for peanuts! :p

Not a very special or historical model, but even so, the packaging that the seller, 52imperial of San Antonio, Texas, did (or did not do) was pathetic, and I am very angry about his carelessness. :mad:

I guess I will write and ask if he has some excuse, and depending on his response, I want to leave negative eBay feedback. Look below and tell me what you think, okay?

The minute I took the box out of my mailbox, I felt the watch just banging back and forth and from side to side, completely loose, as if it was in a empty box!

Click for Big Image

Sure enough, when I peeked inside, there was the poor old watch, bouncing around like the pea in a whistle, sliding and banging against the abrasive cardboard.

At least there was some bubble-wrap inside. but it had been simply wrapped around the watch and then left unsecured. Don't be fooled by what looks a tear in the wrap. the ends were left open and as soon as the box stated moving the watch slipped right out and started banging around the box.

Click for Big Image

There is the watch, which miraculously seems to be working. It is a 1974 Seiko Lord Matic 5606-7330, a low beat automatic that you can hand wind, that hacks and the quick-set works just fine for the day and date.

Click for Big Image

The dial is a rich purple color, and the faceted crystal is in surprisingly good shape (lots of dust on it here, see later picture). The seller's pictures weren't very good, but I was still surprised to be only bidder.

Click for Big Image

Here is the crown side.

Click for Big Image

The common side.

Click for Big Image

And the clasp. The bracelet does not look to be an original or even a Seiko, and it is ridiculously short! :rolleyes:

Click for Big Image

The mandatory vintage watch case-back picture.

Click for Big Image

Well, it is in better shape than the seller's pictures indicated, and after the terrible packaging I am surprised it still runs.

What do you think, does the seller deserve negative eBay feedback? I'll send him a message first to see if he has some excuse, but I am pissed off!

Click for Big Image

In any case, now I have to look for an appropriate strap for it!

I have never had a purple watch before, I am having a hard time thinking of a strap color to match.

Perhaps I should steal a bracelet from some other normal, silver, vintage Seiko I own, and put the donor on a black strap?

****************************** 1 hour later ******************************

Okay, I could not own a watch without wearing it, so I tried a few straps and the only one I liked was a shiny black cowrocodile. I could also see a dark brown strap if it had some purple/red shading, but I didn't have one of those.

AND of course, I had to dive into my extensive shirt collection to find a vintage purple paisley number to match!! :-D

Click for Big Image

Thanks for looking!

- Thomas

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
Like the purkle! I'd surely let the seller know I wasn't happy with the way it was packed. No suggestions for a strap, though.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well it looks great...thank goodness you did not have yours all destroyed...or broken like mine...the seller should have a email sent for sure

·
Registered
844 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me...

how some people can display such a lack of common sense, or just plain carelessness.

I feel your pain. I once received a watch that had been placed unwrapped in a small plastic box (that was still big enough for the watch to bounce around in), and then the seller had wrapped the plastic box (with the loose watch in it) in bubble wrap before putting it into the shipping box. Luckily, the watch had not been damaged in transit, but it ticked me off. When I called him on it, he didn't understand what the problem was. I had to explain to him that he did a fine job protecting the plastic box, but not the watch!

Glad things worked out for you too. That's a great looking watch btw. Love that dial and crystal combo.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
After getting such a nice watch for little money I think it would be harsh to leave negative feedback but a polite email would be appropriate and that may make the seller think twice about better packaging in the future.

That is a super watch btw, the side profile showing the case,bezel and crystal is killer.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I once hat a 6138-3002 coming in, that the seller neatly wrapped in tissue, put that in a small cardbord box, put that in a bigger box with lots of padding...

...only he forgot to close the little box and the wrapping only went around one way. So my Jumbo was bouncing around in the bigger box... aaaargh.

Oh and the scratched "Automatic Generating System", where the seller meant to protect the watch by placing it in a velvet pouch. Which had a metal push button and left a lot of scratches on the former pristine brushed bezel.

And that was a watch shop.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Sure, It was packed poorly but count your Blessings. You received a beautiful watch in good condition.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you folks!

Hello folks,

Sorry for not responding last night, I guess I went to bed too early!

But I appreciate all your nice comments, thank you!

And I have been "talked down" from my egregious high horse on the negative eBay feedback, it sounds like a "neutral" feedback would be more appropriate, mentioning the watch arrived undamaged, and was as described, but pointing out how awful his packing was.

No comments on my purple paisley shirt!?!
It and the watch are probably both from 1974!

- Thomas

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Angry Purple Period Piece, Pathetically Poorly Packed! :-\ >>>

Thomas-

I am afraid clothes fashion is another forum entirely. Purple on a watch is certainly an instance where beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I can appreciate a less than mainstream color option) and personal preference is key here. This hobby is all about what the individual likes.

I have to admit, I am shocked sometimes when I see what some sellers consider as adequate wrapping. Perhaps his wrapping job was tied to his value of the piece and he was glad to be rid of it, I agree with those who recommended you send a cordial albeit corrective email suggesting to the seller you would have been so much more happy had he taped the bubble wrap closed more securely. One of us could be his next bid winner and it would be my hope he had learned and changed based on your helpful email.

Great find by the way !

·
Registered
171 Posts
After getting such a nice watch for little money I think it would be harsh to leave negative feedback but a polite email would be appropriate and that may make the seller think twice about better packaging in the future.
Totally agree. The watch has turned up better than expected so no harm done.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As a eBay seller myself, negative feedback is a very very harsh thing to do without giving the seller a chance to explain and fix. I have had negative feedback given to me twice in 11 years both within the year and it really upset me. Once from a buyer in Singapore who purchased a Rado Captain Cook in beautiful condition but apparently turned up not running as well as he would have liked for a 45 year old watch. No contact for over a month then left negative feedback!!!! The other one was by a complete jerk who bought a Citizen 51-2273 diver from 1980 and went swimming with it after the description stated not pressure tested! Give the seller a chance!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts