The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Special Member
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always pulled the hands off my watches one at a time. First off with the seconds, then the minutes, finally the hours.

Today I scratched an hour hand pulling the seconds hand off. I've seen videos where the guy just pops all 3 off at the same time.

How do you guys do it - 1-by-1 or all at the same time ?

PS - I have a donor watch to replace the hour hand I scratched so all is well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All at once.

Though I'm famous throughout the universe for being clumsy I don't recall wrecking any hands ... If I mess up, it's usually the dial.

I use (as most do, I guess) one of these

But I'm thinking of getting a pair of those lever type removers ... what do you use?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Always all three together. It is too easy to scratch the hands by pulling them one at the time... but maybe there is a tool that allows to do that with better control and possibly less potential damage. The above is what I use too.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
i always take them all at once with that little bergeon protector under it all...and i am always so worried till i get them off

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
All at once.

Though I'm famous throughout the universe for being clumsy I don't recall wrecking any hands ... If I mess up, it's usually the dial.

I use (as most do, I guess) one of these

But I'm thinking of getting a pair of those lever type removers ... what do you use?
that style is the best....love mine...i would be lost without them

·
Registered
141 Posts
I use a fresh ziplock bag, without any print on it, and put this over the hands, then use Horotec hand levers to carefully remove them all in one go.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I align the hour and min hands a best i can with the sweep hand, place a poly bag over them and pull all three at once with the presto tool. (as shown above) If you don't align the hands there is a chance that one leg of the tool can catch the tail of the SS hand and bend it, as i have found out the hard way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've done it the same way but I'd have to say, the seconds between you first applying some pressure to the arms of the tool and the hands popping off are nerve wracking. it takes a bit more welly than you might expect.

·
Special Member
7,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bork I use exactly what you posted a pic of. Works well.

So I will start to pull all 3 together, and I like the baggie idea.

I don't have a fancy Bergeron dial protector, I use a flimsy old plastic card with a thin "V" cut out. Works well.

Glad for your collective input - Thank You All !

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use the presto and a dial protector myself, but honestly guys sometimes I just use my finger nails or tweezers. They're less fragile than you'd think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts