The Watch Site banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in March I got a Promaster NY0054-4E. I wanted a not-expensive mechanical watch for every day use - it had to be tough and light, so I went with the Ti version. After over two months wearing it, here is how I feel about the watch:

Case
Light and tough, just perfect on a watch that you don't want to be reminded that is there. And even though it's in "scratch prone Ti", so far I haven't had not even a swirl on the case.

Strap
Initially I was very skeptic about the rubber strap, since I'm a bracelet guy. But you know what, this is maybe the most comfortable watch that I have, and that's because of the strap.

Since it doesn't hack, I can't exactly set the time to the exact second, so I can't be very precise about this. From what I've seen so far I think my watch is doing around +10/day, and that is very good IMO. Another thing that amazes me is how easy it is to charge the spring - I wear it one night and I'll have enough charge to last me until the next night. The only watch that I ever saw that does better then that are my Orients (RM1 & 2), both with the 49643 calibers. These two are amazing: besides the charge lasting forever, one swing when they're dead in the watch box and they're good for almost an hour. Another thing about the 8203 is the so called "8203 stutter" - if the thing exists, I can't even imagine what color the beast is, because so far I wasn't able to make it happen.

Lume
When I got the watch I was under the impression that it wasn't so good, but now I think exactly the opposite: if it's not the BEST lume I have, it's the second best. Totally awesome at three in the morning!

What I don't like
When you turn the crown to hand wind things are rough, not faintly close to the smoothness of the 6R15. And also, the threads on the crown seem to be very coarse, because I have the impression I'm grinding metal whenever I loosen or tighten the crown.

With all that, I'm VERY pleased with this "cheap little beater watch". There are many options out there that offer solid performance for a small price, but I bought the NY0054 because I was curious about the Miyota 8203. Honestly, it only looses to the 6R15, and that's because the 8203 doesn't hack (and of course, the 6R15 is smoother). The quick set date feature (turn the crown one way for day and the other way for date) is absolutely great, and being able to hand wind is always appreciated.

For 97 bucks I got a tough Ti case watch with a very solid movement. How can you not approve that? O0

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yup, great bang for the buck. The only thing that puts me off a little is the crown being positioned on the left -- but that's just an idiosyncrasy of mine. Other than that, I approve! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting this watch for quite a while now and this mini-review surely didn't make that feeling go away...
:))

Cheers! :)
Daniel Z.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sir said:
Yup, great bang for the buck. The only thing that puts me off a little is the crown being positioned on the left -- but that's just an idiosyncrasy of mine. Other than that, I approve!
Les, I also don't like it, because I have to set the time with my left hand. Being right handed that is a bit awkward, but on the wrist it's a great plus!

Daniel said:
Thanks for posting this! I've been wanting this watch for quite a while now and this mini-review surely didn't make that feeling go away...
Daniel, for the price (I actually paid $93 on it, and not $97) you just can't go wrong!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Glad you like it, Luciano!
I agree with you on the Citizen rubber strap. It's the most comfortable rubber strap I own. Many may not like the ND-chart, but I think it's great. Then, I removed the chart to see how it looks without. :) (still like it!)
It's interesting you mention it's so effective in winding! The 8203 only winds in one direction, which some people think makes it less effective. It's still good enough, I guess. Since I wear mine (NY0040) a lot I never faced any problems. Love the movement and the watch!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I owned three of the NY0040 model - similar in construction, but a slightly different look. I thought it was a solid, well made watch at the $100 level. I had all the same reservations you noted, but they were small complaints. Yes, the movement winds rough, No, it doesn't hack. The crown on the left is inconvenient for a right handed guy to wind. But it is more comfortable to wear. And hacking is something that I only desire because I'm an obsessive compulsive nut. Lacking it really doesn't diminish the quality of the watch much, or any, especially if you're not an obsessive compulsive nut. ;D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This watch proved something that I suspected but wasn't sure if it was always true: there is no "perfect watch", just the "right watch for the job". The NY0054 is definitively not refined, and if I called it crude I doubt anyone here could prove me 100% wrong. There are a gazillion autos out there that are more refined and many wouldn't be much more expensive. But I wanted an automatic watch that was rugged, simple, comfortable and not expensive for everyday wear around the house and specially to sleep with (so it also had to have good lume or good EL/light).
For that job this watch is just perfect O0 .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts