The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to share this restoration along with the interesting story that accompanies this watch. This individual (Justin) was referred to me through Tod (CombatID) and was looking to have his late father's UFO restored. After the individual contacted me I found the story behind this watch interesting and compelling. Turns out Justin was going through some boxes with his mother and came across this wonderful Seiko UFO which his father purchased new in 72 and wore exclusively for more than a decade. The watch had been put away in a box for safekeeping for close to 40 years. He was a USAF pilot who served in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Following completion of his AF service, he flew commercial cargo out of Texas to Mexico and later moved back to Wisconsin where he grew up. Justin told me while recounting his father one evening with his family, his mother relayed a story of his father flying his mother in a private Cessna and being subjected to windshear which forced the plane down into a wooded area. Pilot and passenger suffered minor injuries but the plane was a total loss. Later, his father framed the flight plan from that harrowing flight and kept it on his office wall in remembrance. Justin's mother recalls his father coming in after the incident wearing this watch. Another interesting feature of the watch is Justin's father neatly engraved his full name and Wisconsin ID on the lower lateral line of the case.

Upon receiving the watch, it was in running condition but the lower reset pusher was badly jammed. I was able to remove the pusher which was so badly bent internally I had to partially manipulate it with a tool before I could remove it. Case back revealed at least two prior services. Initial time grapher showed low amplitude just below 200, a straight downward line, slight beat error of 0.4 ms and losing ~100 sec per day. Case an bracelet were in worn but remarkable condition. Outer tachymeter bezel, dial, H/M, sweep, and sub dial hands were in very good condition. The white M hand showed some cracked lume and was pretty badly chipped up on the outer edge white section of the hand which I found was due to a prior watchmaker setting the hand at an upward angle which would allow the sweep to partially bang into it on resets. Not good.

The pictures below represent the watch in its original state and proceeds through cleaning, service overhaul, and re-assembly. Justin did not want me to refinish the case or bracelet as he liked the patina his father had instilled on the watch more than 40 years ago. The bracelet was in slight disrepair so I tightened links and replaced a few split pins while making some adjustments to bring it back into service. One of the hardest things I had to overcome was sourcing a new pusher for this model. Very difficult to find. I also ended up replacing the balance wheel and hairspring as I was getting some unusual positional variance due to the hairspring not setting perfectly level. Thanks for looking.

Before:

Case and bracelet work. H/M hand refinish and re-lume:

Movement overhaul and timing:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm thrilled that this worked out for the owner and I LOVE the story behind this watch. This is what its about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts