The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Craftsman
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A fellow SCWF forum member contacted me about working on this nice 6119-7165 Sushi Roll. The watch presented fairly nice upon arrive but needed some TLC. The case had sharp lines but had a few knocks and was heavily marked with swirls and imperfections on the sides and bottom. A conservative case refinish was performed using square wooden down and various grades of wet/dry sandpaper. The top was given a light rebrush to enhance the existing brushing. I was not looking for perfection here choosing to retain the case lines and keep some of the original character marks obtained over the life of this timepiece. Other than the movement being extremely dingy in appearance, the initial time graph looked decent but could be improved. The owner opted to have me relume the dial and offered an NOS set of hands to replace the worn H/M hand on the watch. To say I spent hours removing the old lume is an understatement. Likely one of the most labor intensive dials I have ever done removing the old lume to prep for re-lume. Very difficult. Interesting bracelet on this watch and one I have not seen in person. Not sure if it is original or AM. A good cleaning and light touchup was all that was needed here.

Wow, the cosmetics were a walk in the park on this watch compared to the mechanicals. Given the initial Time Graph I thought this one would be easy. Not so.

Upon assembling the movement I was only getting around 200 amplitude but good straight line. The impulse jewel regulating arm for beat error was maxed out up against the stop so I had to pull the balance wheel and rotate the hairspring collet ever so slightly on the balance staff to give me more adjustment. Good now.

The lower amplitude had me stumped for a bit. Was it the balance or something else? Pulled the train side of the watch down a second time and re-cleaned gears and checked oiling. Found the end shake on the mainspring barrel arbor a bit tight for my liking so I opted to add some clearance to the upper bushing to allow the arbor to rotate more easily. This seemed to solve my low amplitude issue. Good amplitudes in upper 220s near 230 could be seen on the time grapher now.

The hands were sort of crunchy when setting them when I inspected the watch initially. Also, the day would not fully rotate using the quick set. After cleaning everything up I tested the keyless works when assembling the movement and found the clutch and setting gear teeth were worn. I had some good replacements on hand and swapped those two parts in and it all works smoothly now.

The day quick change would work on the bench in the movement holder but not in the case. Turns out the stem was slightly too short. I had some spare stems on hand as these are the same as the ones used in 6139 Pogue. Happened to have one precut that was too short on a prior Pogue project. Tried this stem and it worked perfectly.

The hands were difficult to fit and get right and I spent well over an hour on these having to pull them several times. They were too tight on the pinion so I had to broach the openings slightly for the correct fit. A very tight hand stack on this watch. They must be dead straight in order to not interfere with each other. Sweep second hand sits very close to the minute hand.

Well, quite the journey with this one. Looks fantastic and runs well. Thanks for looking.

Before:

Dial Re-Lume

Case Refinish Work

Parts Replaced - Stem, Setting Wheel, Clutch

Cal 6119 Movement Service

Well, I just noticed the automatic winding bridge on this particular watch is off a cal 6106C which I did not discover while servicing the watch. It fits and works properly here though.

A good performance result

·
Craftsman
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Craftsman
4,029 Posts
Nice work as always John!

·
Special Member
3,239 Posts
Beautiful work John. Please don’t get me interested in these! I don’t need more WIS obsessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast
1 - 12 of 12 Posts