The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A SCWF forum member contacted me about giving his 6138 Panda a rework. Upon receipt, the watch appeared in decent condition with wonderful dial and hands and case with sharp lines but well worn. Crystal was an incorrect aftermarket domed acrylic the member asked me to swap out for him. Thanks to Tom (SeikoPsycho2) I was able to source a NOS crystal for this piece.

Upon opening the watch, I found water had entered into the keyless works resulting in some surface rust on the winding pinion and setting lever as well as some surface corrosion on the surface of the main plate and calendar plate around the keyless works. Thankfully we caught this early and I was able to clean all the parts up to an acceptable state. Besides there being way too much oil in the movement from whoever serviced this piece last there was actually a small pool of oily water siting below the mainspring barrel upon removal. Never seen that before but again caught early and no permanent damage. I jeweled the upper mainspring barrel arbor per the member's request.

I did a conservative case restoration on this piece being careful not to remove case lines but also not going for perfection and flawless finishes in order to maintain the heritage and character of the piece. Very pleased with the outcome of this piece both esthetically and performance wise. Thanks for looking.

After:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds like you got to this one just in time, given the water incursion. Excellent numbers on the TG. With the extra arbor jewel and your usual attention to detail, this will be another heirloom piece.

Looks like the dial and handset were in good shape, and the casework and new crystal set them off perfectly. Nice job!

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
wow. you just keep bringing one gem after another back to life.

Wonderful job!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys. Really turned out nice. The case while sharp was pretty beaten about. No major dings but a lot of scratches and micro swirls. Without a lapping machine and a lot of time and patience to get a flawless finish, you have to know when to say enough is enough on the refinishing. I am doing this mostly by hand. I really am a stickler for not removing case lines and this case has a lot of polished surfaces and cut lines on the top and sides of the case. Note the bezel ring around the crystal. It was scratched up badly. I spent a lot of time on that piece starting with 600 wet and progressing up through 5000 for an near perfect finish.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you got to this one just in time, given the water incursion. Excellent numbers on the TG. With the extra arbor jewel and your usual attention to detail, this will be another heirloom piece.

Looks like the dial and handset were in good shape, and the casework and new crystal set them off perfectly. Nice job!
Brian, yes the dial and handset were in excellent shape and the real article. I saw one of these panda dials on ebay the other day with a Buy it Now price of $400 so these dials are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yes, it came out great. Nice work again John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts