The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to purchase my next restoration project 6139-6001 70m Resist dial from Grammarofdesign (Jon). Having just done a restoration on a similar 6139 17J chrono, I felt I was up for the task on this beautiful and untouched original piece. I plan to do a very conservative restoration on this piece and I am going to try and keep the original crystal in use and polish it. I have an aftermarket 6139 Seiko bracelet on order from Seikosis similar to those used on the Pogues of this era as well as a complete seal kit from VTA.

My question from you all is given the originality of this piece, should I simply clean the case and leave it in its raw and unpolished state for this restoration? I am always careful not to over buff and polish my cases so as to remove the sharp case lines. Interested in opinions here.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/8-seiko-citizen-trading-post/329543-sold-offers-can-t-set-value-1970-resist-dial-6139-6001-a.html

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I only do up Pogues etc to sell so I do the case up to as new as I can get.
I generally leave the maching on the top of the case alone or lightly refinish that but buff the polished sections.

I don't see any good reason for refinishing the glass when the AMs are exact copies of the originals.

I have one Pogue that I've had listed for months (relatively high price) and it's all original (except the glass) including clean but patina'd case etc.

Perhaps the case etc state is putting buyers off :(

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I generally leave the maching on the top of the case alone or lightly refinish that but buff the polished sections.

I don't see any good reason for refinishing the glass when the AMs are exact copies of the originals.

I have one Pogue that I've had listed for months (relatively high price) and it's all original (except the glass) including clean but patina'd case etc.

Paul - If you get a moment, please PM me a link to your Pogue. I would be interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

Get me some exact copies of the crystals please! I’ve had people send me SK’s crystals which are supposed to be exact copies and they’re nothing like originals :(

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I would say if the case is decent then don't refinish it, imo no refinish looks as good as the original and MANY look a lot worse.

I wouldent mind a few of those 1-1 crystals either.
Should see a Pogue case I got from Aus, the whole thing is mirror polished and rounded, even the top, no lines left at all!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I received the watch today and the case while sharp has seen some hard use. You guys have seen my stuff and I do not go crazy with the buffing and I am careful not to round over the case edges. I am happy to leave a few character marks but this one definitely needs some work. The crystal is toast as there is an impact crater just below the 12 o'clock. Ordered a new crystal from Klein. Good news is I managed to sort the issue with the chronograph stopping at the 60 sec mark. The minute recording jumper arm was bent and jammed under the minute recording wheel. I was able to remove the jumper arm and straighten it and re-install with the correct adjustment and everything works as it should. I still have the issue with the day wheel loose under the dial. Hope all that is going on there is a missing or loose retaining c clip on the cannon pinion. Will know more in a few days.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A few teaser photos from my recent work. I now have 3 projects on my bench in various states of restoration awaiting parts. I took some time this weekend to do the case work on the 6139-6001 which I always like to start with for some odd reason. I have managed to fix the chrono function as well as the day wheel issue. The day wheel was completely off the star gear but was undamaged. I was able to reinstall the star gear, align it, and restake it on my staking plate. Hope it holds. So far so good. Note, I ordered a new SK crystal but given I have heard they are not one for one duplicates of the original crystals, I tried my hand at refurbishing the original crystal. I spent about 3 hours on and off buffing using the diamond lapping pastes I have. There is one minor pock mark you can notice but all the remaining scratches have been eliminated or greatly reduced to the naked eye. A few character flaws but acceptable and in keeping with this vintage timepiece. I did work on the case and bezel as well doing some light wet sanding and polishing by hand very careful not to remove the sharp case lines. I was not going for perfection here but something pleasing to my eye. There was a pretty nasty gouge in the top surface of the case at 9 o'clock where someone had taken a screwdriver to pry the bezel off in the past. I was able to greatly reduce that with some light wet sanding and then re-brush the top surface in a circular pattern just like the original. Forgot to mention I also relumed the triangular pip missing on the inner rotating ring. Very pleased with how this is coming together thus far. Teardown and service are next.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming along beautifully.

Looking forward to the big reveal !
Thanks Jon. A labor of love. I am amazed at how good the crystal came back. If not for that one ding, it would be damn near perfect. A ton of polishing to get it to this state. Case came back pretty well too. A funny thing is after I fixed all the issues with the movement, I powered up the mainspring and let the watch run overnight not expecting much in terms of timekeeping. Damn if it was not spot on after 24 hours. Your time grapher showed low amplitude and some beat error but the accuracy was spot on.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finished up the movement side last night. Pleased with the outcome and the numbers. This one has good bones. I have to tell you, I really enjoy working on these 6139 movements.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost there. 6139A Cal movement. Completed the calendar side last night and installed dial and hands. Day and date functions and chrono functions are all working properly now. Pic of the uncased dial shows the day and date slightly misaligned but this was simply due to me not fully engaging the complete set on the day/date wheels with the crown during testing. Still waiting on those pusher seals from VTA to arrive. Once I receive them, I should be able to wrap up this project. Numbers are dial up in the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to mention, looking for advice on the proper method to install a crown seal on one of these. Does the crown and stem have to come apart or can you carefully snake it over the spring and into position with two pair of tweezers?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Early 6139-600X crown stem seal(s). My stem currently has two o-rings sitting side by side. For those experts out there, is this factory or did these come with a single crown stem o-ring seal?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Early 6139-600X crown stem seal(s). My stem currently has two o-rings sitting side by side. For those experts out there, is this factory or did these come with a single crown stem o-ring seal?

Single with a D cross section iirc. Folks use two generic o rings to fill up the recess in the stem like the correct seal does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts