The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I have been searching for a nice 7017-6020 or 6050 to add to my collection for a while now. Trouble is they are rare and nice examples do not come cheap and they do not come up for sale all that often. A few weeks back, Tod (CombatID) put me on to a very nice example listed on ebay. The watch looked to be in excellent cosmetic condition with sharp case lines, original bracelet, and very nice looking inner rotating ring, dial and hands, but outside of the dirty appearances the seller listed the watch as having some run issues. Seems the watch would only run for 10 - 30 minutes at a time. I set about my bidding strategy and came up with the winning bid. The watch arrived today and I could not be happier. This watch looks as though it was lightly worn and put in a drawer for the last 40+ years. Other than light wear and dirt on the case surfaces, there is no visible damage to the case and the dial and hand are pristine with no fade. This watch obviously did not see a lot of sun light.

Here are some starting pics of the watch as I received it today and some initial numbers. Not bad numbers and I have seen far worse. I will keep you all updated as I progress through the restoration. The bracelet fits my wrist but I could use one extra link to make it fit better so if any of you happened to have a spare link for this type Speed Timer bracelet, please let me know.

Before:

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
So happy you found one that scratched that itch complete with its OEM bracelet.

When I see a trace like that - no beat irregularities with parallel lines, I am overjoyed it's just a matter of regulation. Of course you will strip and rebuild but I can't do that.

Congratulations!

PS - That was Brian's listing, nice catch

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
Nice score John - congratulations and bonus for snagging the bracelet too. That's always extra goodness when you can get both together. looking forward to seeing the outstanding results as usual ...

Reactions: Vette Enthusiast

·
Special Member
2,797 Posts
Excellent buy :) It's a real art to see through years of dirt and be able to judge the "potential" of a watch. I think it looks great already and once finished I am sure it will look Superb! Congratulations!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Nice score John!

I've had one on my radar for quite some time but just haven't bit the bullet yet. Too many other projects in the works.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
the 7017 are by far my favorite of all the Seiko movements and the watches that go with them. Very special indeed.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Making progress on the 7017-6020 project. I have all the parts disassembled and cleaned. No apparent issues found. The mainspring is serviced and reinstalled back in the barrel with the arbor and all diashock and diafix settings cleaned and lubricated. Here are a few shots of the case work and bracelet refinishing. I do not believe this watch had ever been taking apart. No servicing marks inside the case back and not one mark on a screw or bridge. This is the first watch I have ever worked on where I literally could not get the bezel off using some thin sheet plastic and a case knife. Try as I might it would not budge or even give a hint it wanted to come off. I even applied a bit of WD40 round the outer edge of the bezel where it meets the case to see if it would penetrate and loosen its grip. No dice.

My options were to invest in a bezel removal tool or risk damaging the case trying to force the bezel off. Horotec makes a really nice tool for removing bezels but it is over $300 US. I found this nearly identical knock off tool on ebay likely made in China for about $50 US. I figured I would give it a shot. Seems pretty well constructed and the blade ramps that engage the bezel are very sharp. After carefully positioning the watch on the tool making sure the edges of the blades were engaging the bezel where it meets the case, I began to tighten the blades. Got to the point I could not turn the knob with my fingers so I literally had to resort to rigging a small quick grip strap wrench to the knob to turn it. About a quarter to a half turn more and POP, off came the bezel. Thankfully no damage to the bezel or case. That was fun. I was half expecting to see a bunch of rust under the bezel where it had welded itself to the case but surprisingly none to be found. Just a bunch of grit and gunk under there. I treated the case and bracelet to a light refinishing. More to follow.

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
beautiful progress and killer bracelet !

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The bracelet is killer I concur. And case lines are too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,325 Posts
wow. just a big smile on my face looking at that. Seiko knew how to design a watch ...
That's gotta be an alpha male in your herd of watches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts