The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the simple design of the early six digit Seiko LCD watches. Before going for an iconic 0624 'lemon', I decided to try a much cheaper but very similar 0439 project as a learning exercise.

I bought three scrap 0439s very cheaply, I picked the best one to work on (see the 'before' photo below), and the other two I used for spares.

I got a set of gaskets and a crystal from various suppliers, with the help of Mike in the US - thank you Mike! I also found a NOS SQ bracelet, but it had to be modified slightly.

All went well, it wears a bit small, but the grab-and-go ease of use is a winner.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
wow....that looks like new again....great work...really like it too...

·
Registered
931 Posts
You did a great job...I too like the simplicity of this watch....This is similar to the "Lemon Head" isn't it ?
I have a couple of Seiko Ana/Digi's....and 1 Citizen...

Seiko H230-5040.JPG

Seiko ana:digi.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did a great job...I too like the simplicity of this watch....This is similar to the "Lemon Head" isn't it ?
I have a couple of Seiko Ana/Digi's....and 1 Citizen...
Nice Citizen, I quite like that one. The 0439 is similar to the Lemon, but the 0439 has Day and Date display, and an AM/PM display which the 0624 doesn't. The 0439 is a little bit smaller than the 0624. After fixing this one, I've got an 0624 incoming, but that might take a bit longer as the parts are much harder to find.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You did a really great job on your watch . When I look at all the parts you bought , searched for , and cleaned up it shows the planning and determination you put into your labor....of love.

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Nice restoration, great to see "scrap" examples turned into something so nice. Congratulations.

Mine says hi.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to put the gasket in the freezer before fitting as it seemed to be a bit stretched (even though it was NOS). After that it just took a lot of pushing with all the thumb pressure I could muster to get the crystal flush with the case. I then had to be careful doing the final assembly of the case and caseback to avoid pushing the crystal out again.

How did you find the crystal replacement on that model ? easy / hard ?

The similarity of those 2 models in question stops at their initial look.
Case assembly , crystal and circuit assembly is completely different

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you Tell me what the size of that crystal is and the thickness? I need one for my sensor trilite watch and that looks so similar. The dimensions on my sensor is 1.9mm thick glass. It's totally flat and 17.8mm x 27.8mm rectanglar shape. the ends are rounded and the top and bottom are flat. IT looks so similar and it's next to impossible to find a match for my watch. Thanks in advance! Very nice restoration!

·
Registered
3 Posts
seiko 0439 5007

hi..
i also have this watch but after cleaning lost the holding sprin click that
fixes the push button near 7 ..
if your seling complete or spares this would be a great help
norman newcastle

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have this watch as well. It was sitting unused for years. I put in a new battery, the light works but nothing else. Is there a way to reset these like on some quartz watches? I would not be very comfortable disassembling mine further.
Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts