The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I wanted to ask your opinion about a basket case I had bought many years ago as a parts watch. Watch cost about ten dollars in those days. Watch is not working and has a lot of corrosion on the movement. Watch is missing both pusher and crown. Also chrono hand is incorrect. However I am ok with those things. My question is about the dial. Though I can change the Seiko emblem which is bent the dial has a lot of patina which I dont think my watchmaker can remove. Is this dial acceptable. Would it be worth restoring. Prices have now risen for such watches hence this question. All comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks for looking,
JaRe

·
Administrator
30,109 Posts
How much is it going to cost to restore ? how much time and effort ? will it be worth it when you have finished it ? will it look acceptable ?

ps: Nice to see the stem gear is still there.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much is it going to cost to restore ? how much time and effort ? will it be worth it when you have finished it ? will it look acceptable ?

ps: Nice to see the stem gear is still there.
I am mainly worried about how the dial will look. It can never be perfect. Thats what I need your collective opinion on. I also noticed the stem gear only after I took the picture. My watchmaker can sort the movement.
Regards
JaRe

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am not the expert on the collectibility side of things but these gold Pogues have spiked in collectibility and pricing in recent months. Whether this trend will continue is anybody’s guess. Having restored a number of these, cosmetically, I think yours could be brought back to respectable condition. Mechanical restoration is in a different league with this watch. The movement exhibits significant corrosion on bridges and various components deep in the movement. IMHO you would be better off trying to locate a good donor 6139 movement and starting there rather than throwing money and parts at this movement and maybe getting an acceptable but not great outcome. This said, you can certainly resurrect this watch. It all comes down to how much money you are willing to spend. If you can locate a good donor movement for say $200 and then factor in service and other restoration services at say$500 you may be $100 - $200 to the positive in today’s market. A tough call here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Well that is a nice looking watch with some parts missing and wrong second hand
It is for sure worth taking the time to find the right parts and repair
If it were mine i would fix it for sure
I love to fix and repair and make anything unloved back on the wrist
If you need any help just let me know
I have fixed quite a few of these over the years
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Since it is not a true Pogue(that being the 6139-6005), you will have to decide if you are going to keep it or fix it and sell it.
If that was my watch and I was not intending on selling it, I would see how well the dial cleans up; you might be rewarded with a pretty good looking dial. If not then I would go for one of the best looking AM dials and a new set of hands.
Alternatively, you could spend $500 to $800 on restoration and hope for a profit when you sell it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
For the OP, take a look at the stories in the Watchmaking and Tinkering section. Lots of Pogue builds there and you can see how any number of problem Pogues (Progues) turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All,
I wanted to ask your opinion about a basket case I had bought many years ago as a parts watch. Watch cost about ten dollars in those days. Watch is not working and has a lot of corrosion on the movement. Watch is missing both pusher and crown. Also chrono hand is incorrect. However I am ok with those things. My question is about the dial. Though I can change the Seiko emblem which is bent the dial has a lot of patina which I dont think my watchmaker can remove. Is this dial acceptable. Would it be worth restoring. Prices have now risen for such watches hence this question. All comments and opinions welcome.

Thanks for looking,
JaRe
Thanks to all who replied. I am also leaning on getting it serviced at some point. Unfortunately my watchmaker is currently busy. Let's see when he gets free. He is currently working on a Citizen speedy chronograph. I am eager to see how it turns out.
Regards
JaRe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would fix this beautiful watch. It has patina, but then it is close to 50 years old. If you like the result, keep it long term, and if you don't, sell it. The movement is going to be your biggest headache.

Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would fix this beautiful watch. It has patina, but then it is close to 50 years old. If you like the result, keep it long term, and if you don't, sell it. The movement is going to be your biggest headache.

Good luck!
Somehow the movement service is not botherme so much as I have some spare movements I can use for spares.
JaRe

·
Administrator
30,109 Posts
Funny how times change, not so long back this would of been considered a totally knacker 6139, scrap movement, poor dial, poor case, parts missing etc etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny how times change, not so long back this would of been considered a totally knacker 6139, scrap movement, poor dial, poor case, parts missing etc etc.
That's exactly the point of this post. When I bought this many years back it was only a parts watch. I already have a mint watch in great condition which I have not bothered to get serviced or use yet but I know it has risen in value a lot since I bought it. The popularity of the watches is making people want to restore even such watches in relatively poor condition.
Regards
JaRe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts