The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m doing a little cheap and cheerful ‘restoration’ on a seiko 5 6119-8490 that I picked up. By restoration I mean removing all of the thick layers of dna and also some rust, give the crystal a quick polish up and hey presto. Surprisingly the movement looks very clean for a 6119, no rubbing or usual arbor wear causing brass to show through. The dial was also in lovely condition which I’m pleased with.

I didn’t however get so lucky on the case. The finishing is still there however underneath the bezel there was quite a lot of rust. I’ve treated this how I’ve treated rusty bolts in the past, first a dip in vinegar and agitate then a dip in lemon juice and agitate. I’ve got most of it off but I’m left with some stubborn areas of pitting. My question is, how do I go ahead treating this before rebuilding the watch?
I’ve got some silicon grease that I could pack it with but should I be treating the last bits of rust with something before doing so? Will this be enough to stop further rust? Any thoughts and tips are greatly appreciated.

·
Special Member
1,356 Posts
If that case is stainless steel, you could try a stronger acid.

You could apply with a q-tip and then watch for results and neutralize with a dip in baking soda mixed in a cup of water.

There are some cleaning solutions made specifically for stainless steel that have acid in them...you can also do a search for
"Common uses for muriatic acid"

Just use care not to leave the acid on the rust areas for too long as it can etch some grades of stainless steel.

Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I managed to remove most of it with careful perseverance with a toothpick, and a few more rounds in the lemon juice. Then I washed and dried it and packed the remaining pitting with silicone grease, that should be sufficient. Not quite worth enough to start welding and refinishing, but with seiko who knows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts