The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was opening day mini season for spiny lobster here in Florida. We did very well, and almost reached our limit. The only bad thing was I missed the 6105B movement in the classifieds that I have been hunting for. Wore my new summer time diver.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yum...i grew up down there and miss those guys!

Great haul...maybe the orange dial stunned the lobsters into submission and scared away the morays! ;)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
We have them here also

But we can get them all year round with .....
" No Limits ". We just get them and that's it all year around.
No Restrictions or Fish and Game wardens. All year round we dive for
them. There are Millions over here to catch.
It is a all year round .........:49::singing::06::hee20hee20hee:
enjoyment and no one stops you here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You only eat the tails and you want to keep them alive and well in ocean water or immediately on ice. Once back to the dock you wring them by twisting the tail off.

On average I would say you eat two beyond that you feel sick. They are very rich and most of the time dipped in melted butter. And yes you can freeze them although fresh tastes better.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Longbike are they the blue spiny lobsters?
No these are more of the blackish, greenish and some times different
in their color. They are quite big most of the time, live in caves and coral heads.
They spend a lot of time roaming the sea floor, but the fish eat them too.
Their predator's are the Octopus and what is called the Giant Trevally.
The Trevally are shore casting game fish here.
I have one here I mounted that fits inside a (5) five gallon plastic Bucket .
It got snagged on the fishing reel line and I brought it up during the night fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You only eat the tails and you want to keep them alive and well in ocean water or immediately on ice. Once back to the dock you wring them by twisting the tail off.

On average I would say you eat two beyond that you feel sick. They are very rich and most of the time dipped in melted butter. And yes you can freeze them although fresh tastes better.
The trick to the tails: After you dis-connect then is to break of on Antenna
shove it through the tail , then twist it. The vein will come out and remove the (Blood ) in it,
that will take the bad bitter taste out of it when being (Freezed ). Before freezing mix Rock Salt in water, ( not really salty),
Dip it into the Brine water let sit for about ( 5 Minutes ) then remove
place into a zip lock bag, add ( 2 teaspoons of the brine water ) then freeze.
It will keep the meat fresh and not get spoiled.
Note: Polynesian people and many Asian's eat the inners also when cooked,or a lot of them pickle it with little hot pepper and a
touch of Garlic , and little Ginger and eat that raw.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts