The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a very dumb thing and shattered a sapphire crystal today. I was attempting to fit a Lucius Atelier fluted bezel on an SNK809 I’m kidding as a gift for my mother, but my press is a Hornets Mini Screw Down press and couldn’t provide enough pressure for the job. So I stupidly installed the sapphire into the bezel, figuring it would hold up if I applied pressure directly to it since there’s more surface area than on the slopes bezel.

I was wrong. Completely shattered the crystal and spent the next half hour cleaning up shards from my workspace

I’ve since been advised that Atelier recommends a rack style press for fitting an SNK809 bezel due to the force required for the job. Can anyone who has worked on this or similar models with friction bezels suggest a good press for the job? Ideally I’m looking to spend $300 or less, and I’m willing to buy secondhand if there’s a watchmaker/modern looking to get rid of old tools. Also if it’s Horotec even better as I already have dyes.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Yek!!

Don't buy a press for one job - just get a watchmaker to fit it for you. It won't cost much and it's their responsibility.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yek!!

Don't buy a press for one job - just get a watchmaker to fit it for you. It won't cost much and it's their responsibility.

The guy is asking for specific advice, on watchmaking and tinkering. As you know this is the watchmaking and tinkering section. This is not the giving questionable advice section.

Now to the actual question, Horotec have a sweet press that hits your upper price limit....

I have not used it but I have heard it's a great press, very solid and stable and you can apply plenty of pressure.

You just need to check that the diameter of the holes in your Horotec dies fit the pin in this press. Also note that some dies are threaded. I think the pin on this press is a straight shaft.

Occasionally you need to find a specific die for the job at hand. Horotec make a heap of different dies, so there could be a chance that you may not have the one you need in the set you have.

Alternatively you can use any press that will fit your dies. Generally the more you spend the better the press.

Good luck

Dan

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sapphire very brittle in tension, strong in compression.
Yeah, I forgot about that property of the material. A not inexpensive lesson, but one I won't soon be forgetting!

Yek!!

I've been averaging 1-2 watches built per year as a hobbyist for the past two years, and I'm looking to get into watch modding as a side gig (honestly I was hoping to find a watchmaker to apprentice under but those plans were put on hold by COVID) so I'm definitely willing to make the investment.

Horotec have a sweet press that hits your upper price limit....

I have not used it but I have heard it's a great press, very solid and stable and you can apply plenty of pressure.
That one actually came up in my research. And it's got threaded posts - Horotec only uses 6mm diameter threaded dies, so I know mine will fit. The one thing I'm struggling with is finding metal dies - I have concerns about delrin giving before the bezel seats, so my plan is to use metal dies for better application of force and just put cloths down btw the dies and the case/bezel to protect them. Problem is, Horotec doesn't seem to make metal dies (other than suction dies, which are incredibly expensive) and product descriptions for dies don't seem to include threaded inner diameter. May have to reach out to Esslinger, Cousins, etc customer support directly and ask them unless anyone here has a lead on metal dies.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Personally i use this. Quality US made product built to last. Comes with plenty of different sized dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Info?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you! And you’ve used it on SNK80x models or similar bezel types before?

·
Super Moderator
3,004 Posts
The BB is a great press. But before you decide on metal as the only way to go, I’d recommend trying nylon plastic dies. There are several sets made to fit the BB in plastic, and they are stronger than you might think. A rigid press plus nylon dies is going to work most every time.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The guy is asking for specific advice, on watchmaking and tinkering. As you know this is the watchmaking and tinkering section. This is not the giving questionable advice section.

Now to the actual question, Horotec have a sweet press that hits your upper price limit....

You just need to check that the diameter of the holes in your Horotec dies fit the pin in this press. Also note that some dies are threaded. I think the pin on this press is a straight shaft.

Occasionally you need to find a specific die for the job at hand. Horotec make a heap of different dies, so there could be a chance that you may not have the one you need in the set you have.

Alternatively you can use any press that will fit your dies. Generally the more you spend the better the press.

Good luck

Dan
How is my advice "questionable"?

He wants to fit one glass. Buying a press just to do one glass is a waste of $, the press, the packing and postage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts