The Watch Site banner

Prediction Time ?

596 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  EDBOner 
#1 ·
What is your prediction 40-50 years from now ? Will the Golden watches of Seiko's ever various watches be sought after ? They aren't too popular now( or so it seems ) Will collectors seek these in the future ? Below is an example of the watches I refer to.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good question. Hopefully the rose gold Stargate won't shoot up too much in value since I flipped mine . Not sure I care too much anyway since I'll be just bits of carbon by then ;) This has also prompted me to realize that to my knowledge, Seiko has yet to produce a brass and/or bronze model of any sort or have they? That might be the beginning of future classic.

#3 ·
It is always difficult to predict the future, but I doubt it tbh....
Generally, to be of value in the future, an item should have had something going for it in the first place. - i.e. it should have been desirable when new. I am probably wrong, but I just can't see these copycat models reaching that level of interest.

I think a large part of the desirability of the divers and chrono's we collect is their iconic design, there is no denying that. And also their size. Many watches of the era were relatively small. Our favourites are over 40mm and looking good with a large bezel is just right for todays tastes. Seiko have introduced many new models based on their classic watches over the past few years, - new incarnations of 6309, 6105, 62mas, and 6159. I have bought some of them myself, but somehow they all fall short of the original they are based on. So I sold what I had and decided to buy no more. I prefer to seek out original watches in nice condition, hand them over to Duncan for a full movement service and enjoy wearing a classic Seiko.

It's all divers so far. I wonder when Seiko will announce new 6138 and 6139 chronos?

#4 ·
The one that springs to mind in my opinion would be the humble skx. Although it has its flaws, the skx is the end of an era for seiko. You can walk in and buy a dive certified watch for £200, and then go diving. The skx wasn’t a try hard like many watches today and had its own style. They won’t be scarce but I can see all the makings of a future classic, maybe it’s just me.

#5 ·
Russ, it is a good question. I have that “rose gold” Stargate and enjoy it and a bunch of “gold” Seikos. I always worry about the finish wearing off, so they don’t get a lot of wrist time. I’m gonna guess, given the old “gold“ Seikos aren‘t that sought after, that these modern ones won’t be either. I think we enjoy them in the moment. As for the iconic SKX, I did recently buy new a 007 and 009 Japan Made along with the jubilee bracelets and am putting them aside. Just to have for the future.

#11 ·
Yes, indeed a problem that many collectors will have to face!

Being a senior, I will not be concerned with that. But luckily for the future owners (my son and grandsons) of my vintage watches, this issue of finding capable watchmakers will probably not be a problem because my talented watchmaker has already prepared for that eventuality. He has now a couple of young (in their early 20's) highly trained technicians (and still gaining much needed expertise on vintage watches) who could takeover his role eventually.

#9 ·
Very interesting question!

Profile of collectors 40 - 50 yrs from now would be very much different from that of collectors today, so it would be difficult to predict what would appeal to them.

Boomers and Gen X would probably not be around (or be much less dominant) at that time, so the preferences of Millennials and Gen Z, by default, would influence heavily the definition of a collectible watch.

As such, and considering that there's a number of Millennials and Gen Z members on this forum, it's probably worthwhile to have a survey to determine what's in their minds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.