The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lunchtime run to a nearby charity store earned me more than just exercise points. In amongst all the crap in their $5 watch bin I found this H556-510B SilverWave.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421722287.315657.jpg

Looks to have the original strap and the perfect bezel rotates smoothly. Does anyone else wish they had a case opener in their drawer at work? Now I'm gonna have to wait until I get home to take a peek at the movement and see what battery I need to test it out.

Do you reckon there's any love for such a thing? Not my cup of tea but if she goes maybe I can give it to my younger sister.

If the H556 doesn't fly, maybe the quartz chrono I also bought will.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421722705.332889.jpg

Not really sure what the alphabet at the bottom is for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey great finds...

Reactions: tritto

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I prefer the "baby Arnie" due to it's smaller size and weight and I do not like the shroud on the full size "Arnie" either. I bought mine cheap because the analog part was busted. I had a spare H556 that was salvaged from a dress watch case no one wanted. I watch does not have to have a 48mm case to be a man's watch. I'll give you $20 bucks for it even if it does not work at all. I love baby 'Arnie's"
The digital watch is pretty cool to though I am not really into them I like that one.

Michael

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer the "baby Arnie" due to it's smaller size and weight and I do not like the shroud on the full size "Arnie" either. I bought mine cheap because the analog part was busted. I had a spare H556 that was salvaged from a dress watch case no one wanted. I watch does not have to have a 48mm case to be a man's watch. I'll give you $20 bucks for it even if it does not work at all. I love baby 'Arnie's"
The digital watch is pretty cool to though I am not really into them I like that one.

Michael

Thanks Michael, I'll keep your offer in mind :)

A bit of research and I've found relevant battery codes. My local BatteryWorld store has both batteries in stock so I'll pick them up on the way home. Should have a good idea if they're worth keeping or passing on to others for parts tonight. Fingers crossed.

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Not really sure what the alphabet at the bottom is for?
Nice pickups, I like the H556 and not one often seen round here.

The Sports 100 has a D410 module, this will be very similar to my D409 Memo watch that allows different messages to be stored on the watch. The characters at the bottom are for selecting the characters to enter.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I installed a new battery and the Girlie Man sprung into life. A little cleanup of the case and strap and she's ready to wear. All functions check out (including the alarm and light). You really do need to read the instructions on this one as setting things via the crown isn't intuitive.

Now all I have to do is find a home for it. My 2.5 year old was interested in what I was up to so I strapped it on his wrist. He admired it for a minute then demanded that daddy wear it and he would have the 6139 6005 I was wearing instead. Can't fault his taste.

No real luck on the D410 Sports 100. She came to life but the LCD is very faded. Pushers are all too stiff to operate effectively. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421798291.106117.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421798313.555997.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421798332.225696.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421799637.806941.jpg

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well if your young one does not the baby Arnie just let me know. I love them. I also like the way they set the digital functions with turning the winding stem. Both the baby Arnie and the full size Arnie have two paddles on the end of the stem that trigger the digital display forward or backwards. This has the big advantage of if you go one number to far when setting an Arnie all you have to do is turn the stem backward one turn. All of the other digital watches that use push buttons make you cycle all the way around again if you go past. With all Arnie types you don't making set up much quicker.

Michael

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And how does that offer fit into your current downsizing policy Michael? :)

At least it doesn't really need any work so won't become another project.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update on theD410 5030.

I just couldn't let it lie so I got stuck into cleaning up the pushers and case, both of which were full of crude.

It was the first time I've taken apart a digital and I was surprised how tiny the circlips holding the pushers together are.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422780550.604373.jpg

Well they were a bugger to get off with needle-nosed pliers and even harder to get back on later. I reckon I took two hours over two sessions getting them back on - mostly crawling around on the floor looking for the circlips after they shot off in all directions. It's a miracle I got it back together without losing one or more for good.

All functions work but the display text is orange and not that bright. I assume the polariser is the problem and there are a few threads about replacing such things but it sounds fiddley and I don't think it's worth the effort.

Check out the size of this battery!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422780871.948182.jpg

Was the exercise worth it? No. But I did achieve what I set out to - get it back together and functioning right.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422781035.094760.jpg

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Great finds, I do like a bargain and resurrecting something that has been abandoned :grin:.
As for your 'Girlie Man' watch, I would love to have one of them in my collection :cool: Size isn't everything, at least for a watch;)

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
i love that D100...will need to find one like that...you got two great watches

1 - 14 of 14 Posts