The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to share this with you all.

I have a white and a black helmet Seiko chrono.

The wore the white one on Saturday for a wedding I attended.

It is maybe a year since I last wore it and it 'stuck' a bit for the first hour or two, always in the same 'place' with the second hand coming up to the hour.

Anyway, I carried on wearing it regardless of the loss in time, kept re-adjusting it and didn't care too much about the occasional hassle.

By about 3 hrs in to wearing it, it had smoothed itself out and dusted off the cob webs and ran 'like clockwork'.

I took it off that night and laid it down, with the expectation that I'd be lucky if it lasted till the morning, bearing in mind it's stuttering stop start of the afternoon.

Nope - it ran without being picked up until 1.45pm TODAY!!! A whopping reserve of 38 hrs approx.

I find it pretty amazing. Is this what other people would expect or does this surprise you?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not bad at all and about right after a full day wearing it. Some will last a bit longer maybe but others less just depending on the state of the internals.

To stop it stuttering at the 58s mark to start off with you probably need to wind it up first. Recommended even in the seiko user manual for these watches was to 'swirl it' for 30 seconds before wearing it.
They stop at 58s as this is the hardest part on the chronographs motion (it is where it punches the minute recorder on).

Or just don't have the chrono running for the first hour or two;)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
No this does not surprise me. Because if you run the 6138/9 chronographs before the watch is wound up it will stop before the hour if the mainspring power is low.
In future wear watch for 6 hrs before using chronograph so rotor has time to wind main spring or 5 minutes side to side motion to wind mainspring up. Edit Tom you beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks both!
I haven't posted for a while, but this forum is still the foremost place for Seiko help and advice.
I didn't realise either of those things!
I'm a tiny bit wiser than I was at the start of the day...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts